help identifying iron oxide vs gold oxide

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Refine2017

How can I tell the difference between iron oxide and gold oxide? They both seek to have this brownish orange/red color. What could I do to identify this. I would try using SMB but the particles that are in the solution seem to be at the bottom of the container. What is the best way?? Would vinegar work

You mean that you need help identifying iron oxide vs gold.

I'm not sure why you would use either SMB or vinegar to identify gold either. What material do you have with what you think may be both in it please?

Jon

anachronism said:
You mean that you need help identifying iron oxide vs gold.

I'm not sure why you would use either SMB or vinegar to identify gold either. What material do you have with what you think may be both in it please?

Jon

My younger cousin took the solution from the beaker earlier and put it in a stainless steel pot. It was a rash and quite stupid mistake. My original solution had some gold nanoparticles that was to be used in medical research. But now after the mistake. The solution looks like a brownish reddish color. There aren't any visible signs of chromium. When I asked my cousin he said he added bleach and heated the solution. (Why? I'd really)
So you think it's just iron

Refine2017,
a solution of gold nanoparticles (or a medical colloidal gold solution) here the gold is already reduced to metal particles of small clusters of gold atoms, these colloids are locked up in solution by the charge of the clusters.

Putting it in the stainless steel pan.
Will not reduce the gold, the gold is already reduced, the iron in the stainless cannot reduce your gold.
It will not form a gold oxide.
Adding bleach most likely would not oxidize the colloid (unless highly acidic and heated).
It is normally fairly hard to break the colloids.

So if you did oxidize the colloids back into solution as ions, these gold ions in the stainless steel container would be reduced back to elemental gold, by the iron and other base metals of the steel, that is what gold did not go up in smoke as volatile gases (depending on heat and constitute of salts involved)...

Either way, you are not looking to test for gold oxides, you are looking to test for very minute particles of gold.
The amount of gold I suspect would be very minute.

You could take a sample of the steel and put it into solution dissolving both iron and any cemented gold, and then read in Hoke's book, check out page 100.

butcher said:
Refine2017,
a solution of gold nanoparticles (or a medical colloidal gold solution) here the gold is already reduced to metal particles of small clusters of gold atoms, these colloids are locked up in solution by the charge of the clusters.

Putting it in the stainless steel pan.
Will not reduce the gold, the gold is already reduced, the iron in the stainless cannot reduce your gold.
It will not form a gold oxide.
Adding bleach most likely would not oxidize the colloid (unless highly acidic and heated).
It is normally fairly hard to break the colloids.

So if you did oxidize the colloids back into solution as ions, these gold ions in the stainless steel container would be reduced back to elemental gold, by the iron and other base metals of the steel, that is what gold did not go up in smoke as volatile gases (depending on heat and constitute of salts involved)...

Either way, you are not looking to test for gold oxides, you are looking to test for very minute particles of gold.
The amount of gold I suspect would be very minute.

You could take a sample of the steel and put it into solution dissolving both iron and any cemented gold, and then read in Hoke's book, check out page 100.

Thanks brother. I appreciate.

The use of gold colloids for identifying organic species is based on color changes due to size change of the gold particles when they adsorb the organic species. Hence this solution is useless. The gold content is negligible

Latest posts

Back