Help me identify the metal

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ovidiuanghel

Hello all,

I came across a metal that i have no knowledge about it. I found it in some auto pedals, is a small contact spring.
Neither HCL or HNO3 dissolve this metal, then i make AR, no reaction, then i boil the solution, after three hours, the metal was not totaly dissolve and on surface apere some white crystals. Can be this Platinum?

https://imageshack.com/a/7FOb/1

Thank You,
Ovidiu

Hi Ovidiu
Now i would like to know why you would do pins like this in AR??
did you read????
first the base metals then do test what you have
If you have not the time to study sell me the metals
i will pay you the going price .
what i can see in that beaker can be Iron or gold but with out pictures or tests on what you have we are playing the price is right door number 1 2 3
sorry but learn what you are doing if you don't have the time there are many other Romania people on here will pay you for your stuff
you should by now how to test for the other metals
I'm not trying to put you down but this is something very easy to do if you already have it in AR do your tests for what metals you have

RikkiRicardo

RikkiRicardo said:
Hi Ovidiu
Now i would like to know why you would do pins like this in AR??
did you read????
first the base metals then do test what you have
If you have not the time to study sell me the metals
i will pay you the going price .
what i can see in that beaker can be Iron or gold but with out pictures or tests on what you have we are playing the price is right door number 1 2 3
sorry but learn what you are doing if you don't have the time there are many other Romania people on here will pay you for your stuff
you should by now how to test for the other metals
I'm not trying to put you down but this is something very easy to do if you already have it in AR do your tests for what metals you have

RikkiRicardo

You misunderstood, before AR i disolve the cooper whit nitric, only the contact metal is in the solution and not disolve after boiling.

And yes, i am on this forum daily and read!

Ovidiu

solar_plasma said:
It seems to me, that Au, Pd and Pt are commonly used beside Ag/Ni/Pb alloys:

this spring contacts came from some auto pedals, the contact between the pedal and the little bords

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/0i2c.jpg/

I googled, but I am still not sure if I understand the word "auto pedals" right. Anyway, I would not wonder if you really have some Pt in it. On the other side there are a lot of basemetal (alloys), which will act strange to HCl or HNO3. 'Ag passivates against HCl, Al passivates against HNO3, - then how will an alloy of both react (if it is possible to make an alloy of them).

I just wanted to say, that based on my link about contact points, I think it would be plausible it could be Pt in it - assuming your "contact springs" from "auto pedals" are some kind of contact points.

In this case I think inquartation is the way to go. Add 75% silver, dissolve in nitric and the rest of the metals will be accessible by AR and dissolved.

An alloy of silver and platinum 50/50 would probably behave in this way. The dark color of the undissolved contacts in AR points towards a silver alloy.

Göran

Ovidiu,

I can't view the pictures, so I can only go by your description. The question I would ask myself is "Why would the manufacturer choose to make this spring out of a platinum alloy?" Unless there is a very strong reason to use platinum, I would assume the manufacturer would find a less expensive material to use.

Just my thoughts
Dave

I agree with patnor. Can not see a purpose in using platinum, palladium, or any precious metal for a spring for any of the foot controls. I am of the opinion that the spring assembly's are likely stainless steel. When I worked on tractors and other farm equipment a few decades ago, the springs for all foot controls, were made of stainless. I would think that the practice had continued.

On all pictures and in the text he is showing and talking about a "spring contact", the contact that is moving over the plated circuit board. That is a component that you don't want to fail in 20 years. A hard non oxidizing alloy should be perfect for this application.

I guess that the board and the whiper is part of the circuit for cruise control and accelerator.

Göran

That's what I would do:
I would test all unsoluble white or metallic stuff for silver. Then I would test the liquid with DMG in a test tube or spotplate for Pd/Pt. If positive I would re-read the instructions for Pd/Pt. The liquid is somewhat yellow and SnCl2 showed more or less purple tones, so I would try again on a white spotplate with SnCl2 and be looking for purple stains. If positive, I'd drop the obviously contained gold with SMB.

Highly chrome alloyed stainless steel at least should not react with AR (Geeigntete Werkstoffe (=durable materials): http://gestis.itrust.de/nxt/gateway.dll/gestis_de/531364.xml?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0)

Latest posts

Back