Help Needed - I'm making a quick reference.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuggetHuntingFool

I know that there are 70 or so known metals. However, I'm not sure which those metals are.

Can somebody provide me a list of these 70-some metals?

Are any other non-metals affected by acid, iodine, bromine, cyanide, etc??

This is basically a chart of what dissolves what and what precipitates what.

It will be big, and I need help from you guys. I'm a newb sorry!!

Thanks

Somewhere I have a chart (maybe) I made up of the common metals (about 15 of them) and what dissolves them. I'll try to find it but it may not exist any longer.

The strength of the acid is important with some of the metals. For example, concentrated nitric will not dissolve bulk lead efficiently but hot dilute nitric will (about 7/1, H2O/HNO3, is what I use). Strong nitric doesn't work well because Pb(NO3)2 is not very soluble in it and it forms a crust on the metal. HCl works the opposite way with lead. Concentrated hot HCl dissolves lead but weak hot HCl has little effect on it.

So I would have to include a dilute/concentrated and hot/cold parts as well.

Thanks GSP I appreciate it.

This will be community property so all help is only beneficial to us all.

Thanks!

I would just start with the metals and then list what dissolves them, instead of the other way around. Also. if you list the precipitates, you will have to list them for every matrix that the metal is soluble in. Also, you could have quite a few precipitants for each metal in each matrix. Also, certain precipitants will be used to get a cleaner separation between two or more dissolved metals. For example, if you have Au and Pt in a chloride, you would use ferrous sulfate to get a cleaner precipitation of gold, with the least amount of precipitation of Pt.

Very nice. Thanks.

Are there any non-metals that are affected by acids, halides, cyanide, bromine, the normal things used to process PM's, etc...?

Thank you.

Yes this chart would be for ores and e-scrap. I'm just trying for the 20-30 most common base-metals.

Please feel free to add to this if anybody has some input.

I will say...
---------------
Antimony?
Arsenic
Barium?
Boron?
Chromium
Cobalt
Copper (Which is precious to me)
Gallium?
Indium?
Iodine?
Iron
Lead
Lithium?
Magnesium?
Manganese?
Mercury
Molybdenum
Neodymium?
Nickel
Osmium?
Phosphorus?
Potassium?
Selenium?
Silicon
Sulphur
Tellurium?
Thallium?
Thorium?
Tin
Titanium?
Tungsten?
Uranium?
Zinc
Zirconium?
-------------

Are there any that I missed???
What about non-metals? Perhaps Fluoride, etc...?

If there is a question mark then I'm unsure if these are commonly found with PM's. I'm also unsure which element is more commonly associated with which PM.
For instance. Lead is found with gold A LOT, but is lead found with PGM's a lot? Or silver?
Etc...
I would really appreciate some feedback on these things because I feel this chart can help a lot of people as a sort of "quick reference".

Thanks Everybody!

Latest posts

Back