Help Newbie! :)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vesilemb

So I decided to refine some 585 gold. Just for fun and to educate children.
I bought 10g 585 gold from pawnshop, and 14g of 925 silver. I melted them and mixed them together. I extracted silver and copper with the help nitric acid. I cemented silver out with copper and melted it back to a chunk of silver.
Then with aqua regia I dissolved the remaining stuff after washing in distilled water few times. I filtered the liquid. I got very nice dark orange colored liquid.

As I had no urea at hand, so I neutralized aqua regia with sodium bicarbonate. Then I wanted to get rid of eccessive sodium bicarbonate that I added too much. I heated the solution up close to boiling point, so that half of sodium bicarbonate converted to water and CO2 and the rest to Sodium carbonate, which is 3x more soluble. After bubbling was done, the solution became feculent orange. Lighter in color. I tried to filter it out, but for some reason it did not filter well, and I left half of the solution unfiltered, as they looked pretty much the same. then I made sodium metabisulfite solution and poured it into filtered part of solution. There was just some bubbling and nothing really happened. But then suddenly there was precipitating gold after like 30 seconds.
So I continued with unfiltrated solution. But to my horror, orange color disappeared completely, and it became clear. The filtered solution looked like some of the precipitated gold returned back to solution. Only very small precipitation patches remained in the bottom I cleaned the precipitate and melted it into a small drop of gold. like 0,3g.
Tin Chloride test shows that gold is still there. In both solutions. Also, it looks like small metal glitter is floating inside the solution.
One more point that Na2S2O5 was not of laboratory grade. But there must clearly something else wrong, as in unfiltered part of solution nothing participated out.
And that filter, I looked at later, contained some metal like powder.
Any ideas what is not right here?

So I decided to refine some 585 gold. Just for fun and to educate children.
I bought 10g 585 gold from pawnshop, and 14g of 925 silver. I melted them and mixed them together. I extracted silver and copper with the help nitric acid. I cemented silver out with copper and melted it back to a chunk of silver.
Then with aqua regia I dissolved the remaining stuff after washing in distilled water few times. I filtered the liquid. I got very nice dark orange colored liquid.

As I had no urea at hand, so I neutralized aqua regia with sodium bicarbonate. Then I wanted to get rid of eccessive sodium bicarbonate that I added too much. I heated the solution up close to boiling point, so that half of sodium bicarbonate converted to water and CO2 and the rest to Sodium carbonate, which is 3x more soluble. After bubbling was done, the solution became feculent orange. Lighter in color. I tried to filter it out, but for some reason it did not filter well, and I left half of the solution unfiltered, as they looked pretty much the same. then I made sodium metabisulfite solution and poured it into filtered part of solution. There was just some bubbling and nothing really happened. But then suddenly there was precipitating gold after like 30 seconds.
So I continued with unfiltrated solution. But to my horror, orange color disappeared completely, and it became clear. The filtered solution looked like some of the precipitated gold returned back to solution. Only very small precipitation patches remained in the bottom I cleaned the precipitate and melted it into a small drop of gold. like 0,3g.
Tin Chloride test shows that gold is still there. In both solutions. Also, it looks like small metal glitter is floating inside the solution.
One more point that Na2S2O5 was not of laboratory grade. But there must clearly something else wrong, as in unfiltered part of solution nothing participated out.
And that filter, I looked at later, contained some metal like powder.
Any ideas what is not right here?
Welcome.
You did well until you dissolved the Gold.
How did you prepare your AR?

In this forum Urea is for the garden!!
Why do so many refer to the decomposition of Nitric and its Nitrates as neutralising?
In chemistry neutralising is to bring a solution to a pH of 7.
We call it deNOxing and we deal with it by either:
Not overuse the Nitric, best solution
Add Sulfamic acid to a hot 90C solution.
Add a sacrificial Gold button.
Bubble the SO2 from SMB trough the solution or evaporate to a syrup and rehydrate with HCl.

By adding an Alkali you have probably lifted the pH out of range where SMB works and even formed Hydroxides.

Read Hokes book, free pdf here on the forum

Re acidify you solution and either use Sulfamic acid and precipitate or cement it out on a Copper bar.
Then refine again.

As I had no urea at hand, so I neutralized aqua regia with sodium bicarbonate.

This will change the entire ph range, if enough is used it can cause issues with the drop. As Yggdrasil said, denox the nitric. Leaving the solution acidic from the HCl.

At times , with too much nitric, the solution can be heated, not boiled, and slowly reduce the volume and add HCl to bring the volume back up. This keeps the acidic levels in range and reduces the NOx.

Read Hoke’s book as Yggdrasil suggested, it explains it in very basic language that most can easily understand.

Last edited:
So yea. So I had plenty of SMB already in solution The rest would be sodium nitrate. (Later I could use that for some fireworks. )
By adding HCl Gold immediately started to precipitate. Tin Chloride test remained clear after that.
Thanks for helping newbie :)!

Attachments

• 20230805_222250.jpg
    20230805_222250.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back