help to get the coper with out iron bar

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rajkumarkp

i have gold &silver efinery in india,we use to seprate the gold and silver with nitricacid72%, then i used copper bar to get the silver, then i used iron bar to get the copper ,some times the copper turn in greencolour then i melt that i get a bad smoke,pls help me to get the copper without iron,?how to reduce the nitric acid power in the blue solution? we refine 5kg silver{65%purity}everyday

You might try washing the recovered copper sludge with heated dilute sulfuric acid. That should help remove iron that gets dragged down. Best scenario, however, is to electrolytically part the recovered copper, to ensure that you don't have any contamination(lead, for one) that can be harmful to the alloys when it is reused.

Harold

rajkumarkp said:
thanks for your reply, may i use urea to reduce the nitric acid power in the blue solution?
That I can not answer. I refined for more than 20 years and never used urea. However, if you use nitric in proper proportions, there will be very little present, and it won't interfere with the recovery of copper. In fact, there should be some present, just not so much that you see the familiar brown fumes emanating from the container while you're cementing the copper. If you do see them, simply keep adding steel scrap, as it will be consumed and eventually yield the copper you seek. Not a problem, it's just wasteful of steel and nitric.

Harold

As an edit---assuming you pursue the washing of copper with dilute sulfuric, the resulting solution is most likely to contain copper, so you should use yet more steel to recover the copper that has been dissolved by the washing process. As dilute sulfuric does not dissolve copper, there won't be much, but copper oxide is readily dissolved, so that will report in the solution.

You most likely could recover the copper electrolytically, yes. A couple of the readers have experimented with some degree of success. As I am not well versed on the subject, perhaps those who are can provide some guidelines. I can suggest to you that you would need a rectifier that offered variable voltage, and that the voltage required is quite low, less than 2 volts, as I recall. Could be wrong.

Harold

if i may say , you should contact steve ,if i remember corectly he have tryed to remove copper from nitric electricaly
also i have found this ,maybe in one of his dvd you will find something even better :mrgreen:

lazersteve said:
garrettguy1223 said:
Hello all, ive run several batches of gold and i cannot ignore it any longer... i need to get the silver out of my leftover blue solutions/
I'm talking about the solution leftover after digesting the base metals out of inquarted jewelry with nitric acid. I bought lazer steve's dvd on silver refining but alas it was not in there. I'm sure the are threads on how to do this but i have not been able to find them :x
so if anyone could point me to the treat or website/tutorial i would be very grateful. i've got alot more gold to process but i need some silver to inquart it with! haha

The Silver DVD demonstrates several ways to get silver out of nitrate solutions notably via:

Electrolysis, Silver chloride, and Copper Cementation.

Check the Cell Clean up Chapter on the DVD.

Steve

Latest posts

Back