help to remove platinum

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfran7788

I have some circut boards with a layer of platinum and silver on both sides..theres gold too...how do i seperate them from the silicon

Attachments

• 1968 mint gold3-2.jpg
    1968 mint gold3-2.jpg
    11.2 MB · Views: 431
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 431
  • s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 431
  • s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 431
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 431
By educating yourself.

Electronic scrap may contain a little bit of these metals, like gold, silver and some of the platinum group metal, you may be able to recover some of those metals from electronic scrap, by educating yourself, with information you can find in this forum, but it will take a lot of work on your part, and you may learn that you have to work very hard, to get a just little bit of metal in return, for all of your hard work in study and work to recover that little bit.

The forum is a great place to learn if you wish to learn this skill, the information to answer your question is here on the forum, your study can answer most any question you could think o concerning recovery and refining of precious metals, and the members here can be very helpful to you, with questions you may have when you do not understand something while you study and work to educate yourself.

I suspect what you see on those circuit boards is mostly just lead and tin solder, you will not find much platinum, sometimes you can see a little bit of the very thin gold plating on other base metal.

Electronic circuits are made as cheaply as possible, and the manufacturer only use valuable metals where they are needed, and normally using as little as possible to make the circuit reliable for its expected service life.

Most electronic scrap has been considered trash that is a problem for our environment because of the metals and nonmetals involved that can easily poison our environment, they are not overflowing with precious metals, although they do contain a tiny bit in them, recovering these metals from this trash is not easy, it takes an awful lot of education, it can be very dangerous, and is a lot of work for almost no return in profit.

To learn you must work to educate yourself, learn where these metals are, learn how to recover them, and learn to refine them, the information is here on the forum, if you wish to learn it is free.

Welcome to the forum the best place to educate yourself in these skills.

butcher is very correct !!

on this site you will find the largest resource for gold recovery & refining on the planet, and best of all its free

here on the forum we will not hold your hand and give you a free ride.

you will need to try and go through the site & find some information that pertains to your needs, there are rules here which seems you did not read before posting.

a few things for your list...

read the forum rules
read the safety section
read Hoke's book or the many books or links to books on this site

Laser_Steve has this:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=796

its a good start !!
welcome to the forum, we can help you better if you help yourself

rfran7788 said:
They are from the L and B
I took it to a guy who tested it

Those are junk and not worth the time to remove them. (with the exception of hughesnet) hughesnet have a great layer of gold on them.

Eric

I've been doing this for nearly 50 years and I have never seen or have heard of platinum being used on circuit boards. Maybe on certain obscure components but never on the board itself. I don't think the guy that tested them had any idea of what he was doing. What method did he use? I have seen Rhodium used on the fingers of Zerox boards in the early 1970's but that's about it for the use of Pt group metals on circuit boards.

Silver is very unlikely. Its problem is that, over time, it can migrate from one trace to another and cause partial shorts.

It is extremely likely that the white metal on the boards is 60Tin/40Lead solder plating that has been reflowed to improve its structure. After reflowing, it is bright and shiny and silvery. Until a few years ago, the use of tin/lead plating was standard on boards. Even today, I'm not 100% sure that lead is totally banned in the manufacturing of electronics, at least not in the US. If not, it is probably still used, since it is superior in several ways compared with the Sn/Ag/In or Sn/Ag/Cu substitutes. Sn/Pb solder melts at a lower temperature, has a longer shelf life, and is less expensive.

Of all the common metals, there are only 2 that have a color other than white or some shade of gray - copper and gold. And, any common alloy with color will contain gold and/or copper. And, just because a metal is white and shiny doesn't mean it's silver or platinum. There are many, many other metals or alloys that fall into that category.

I went to a jewelr and he said that there is silver and some platinum..theres also some circuit satellite l & b chips which is gold plated..like you can see in the picture..i also got me silver tester and if it turns blue when applying it..that mean it has silver in there...and it did... dont wanna throw this and its worth...so i need the cheapest method to see what i can get ..if anything in there.. I got 2 boxes full with these...each boxed is about 12 lbs

theres a quarter in the middle of pic so you can see full size of the boards..someone selling this same chips on ebay..with silver, platinum and gold in the discription....

Attachments

• 2nd.jpg
    2nd.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 385
  • 2nd1.jpg
    2nd1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 385
  • 2nd5.jpg
    2nd5.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 385
rfran7788 said:
They are from the L and B
I took it to a guy who tested it

i have no idea what "the L and B" are.

but i wholeheartedly agree with Etack & GoldSilverPro

if your removing those from satellite receiver dishes that people use in there homes its more work then profit
Dish%20500a.jpg

you are right its the part on the tip of the arm..i got plenty.. cant i use the same method that is used to remove gold from memory chips ?

goldsilverpro said:
I've been doing this for nearly 50 years and I have never seen or have heard of platinum being used on circuit boards. Maybe on certain obscure components but never on the board itself. I don't think the guy that tested them had any idea of what he was doing. What method did he use? I have seen Rhodium used on the fingers of Zerox boards in the early 1970's but that's about it for the use of Pt group metals on circuit boards.

Silver is very unlikely. Its problem is that, over time, it can migrate from one trace to another and cause partial shorts.

It is extremely likely that the white metal on the boards is 60Tin/40Lead solder plating that has been reflowed to improve its structure. After reflowing, it is bright and shiny and silvery. Until a few years, the use of tin/lead plating was standard on boards. Even today, I'm not 100% sure that lead is totally banned in the manufacturing of electronics, at least not in the US. If not, it is probably still used, since it is superior in several ways compared with the Sn/Ag/In or Sn/Ag/Cu substitutes. Sn/Pb solder melts at a lower temperature, has a longer shelf life, and is less expensive.

Of all the common metals, there are only 2 that have a color other than white or some shade of gray - copper and gold. And, any common alloy with color will contain gold and/or copper. And, just because a metal is white and shiny doesn't mean it's silver or platinum. There are many, many other metals or alloys that fall into that category.

is lead a good conductor of electricity??

Before you do anything else, read all of the information in the links (in blue) below my signature line. If you don't do YOUR homework, I wouldn't count on getting much assistance here. Just a friendly FYI.

FrugalRefiner said:
It's not an "L and B" or "l & b". It's an LNB. It stands for Low Noise Block downconverter.

Dave

thank you, i have much more time to see the parts then to look up the white papers

over time i have learned to "see" the values, i would still say that those boards take a lot of work to remove, the Aluminium would be worth it, one of those boards only weighs a few small grams, even if you had truckloads of dishes coming in it would be a very long while before you got enough of those boards to even pay for the 4' X 4' space it would take to store the boards. best thing would be to get a assay done on the different types, the assay will tell you what you have & its value

my view on this is from canada, not all places have the same employee pay rates, you will need to do the math based on your location rfran7788

rfran7788 said:
.i also got me silver tester and if it turns blue when applying it..that mean it has silver in there...and it did...

If you have the red coloured silver testing solution you want it to turn blood red not blue if it turns blue it means it contains a high amount of non ferrous metal eg. copper, tin, etc

If you want the cheapest way to process these items and fastest I recommend taking it all to a scrap yard and sell it to them. you don't have to buy any chemicals, you don't have to read any books, you don't have to use the search button to find out how to process these items, you don't have to ask the same question that has been asked thousands of times, simply hop in your vehicle take them to a scrap yard that buys circuit boards have them weigh it up and walk out with your cash.

that is the simplest way to process these items.

If the pictures aren't discolored by the light, the silver ones look like very thin flash plated gold on a nickel layer to my eyes. Estimating those are only 1/10 or less of usual plating thickness (in best case) you can get a clue, why this might not be worth processing (even if it should be gold).

Though, I have to say, I never ran a test on those flash plated ones, I just don't throw them away. I think you could keep them until you have the knowledge to test them, just from an educational point of view.

The return on these boards isn't very high. Where they really stand out is working small lots at a time for the educational value. They are almost as easy as ram fingers. Sort 10 to 15 boards of the same type and work them as you would in one of Hoke's test. Small lot's for the hands on educational side. Study on how to deal with the wastes first, a very important step in the overall processing. Then work them in AP. When the entire lot in the pictures are done, then you can tell us your estimation of whether it was worth it or not. I work them myself. Every little bit adds to the collection jar. Take your time, and watch them several times a day, it builds anticipation, allows you to develop patience, teaches you how to do the process, and leaves a feeling of accomplishment when it is done correctly.

And you may just find yourself with a big smile when you turn them into a little bit of gold.

Shark said:
The return on these boards isn't very high. Where they really stand out is working small lots at a time for the educational value. They are almost as easy as ram fingers. Sort 10 to 15 boards of the same type and work them as you would in one of Hoke's test. Small lot's for the hands on educational side. Study on how to deal with the wastes first, a very important step in the overall processing. Then work them in AP. When the entire lot in the pictures are done, then you can tell us your estimation of whether it was worth it or not. I work them myself. Every little bit adds to the collection jar. Take your time, and watch them several times a day, it builds anticipation, allows you to develop patience, teaches you how to do the process, and leaves a feeling of accomplishment when it is done correctly.

And you may just find yourself with a big smile when you turn them into a little bit of gold.

thanks for ure advice...should i start with a silver process or gold

thanks for ure advice...should i start with a silver process or gold

What circumstances make you believe there is silver? The same that made you believe there is platinum? Instead of going on asking senseless questions, the only way to start this journey is to read and learn or it will find the same end like 100 other short lived straw fire visitors I've met here since I joined.

The process to start with, is not silver nor gold, it is learning and reading the adviced texts and if you follow this advice, it will turn into silver and gold. Don't be as smart and clever as the other 100, it will lead you to nowhere.

Latest posts

Back