help to remove platinum

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
solar_plasma said:
thanks for ure advice...should i start with a silver process or gold

What circumstances make you believe there is silver? The same that made you believe there is platinum? Instead of going on asking senseless questions, the only way to start this journey is to read and learn or it will find the same end like 100 other short lived straw fire visitors I've met here since I joined.

The process to start with, is not silver nor gold, it is learning and reading the adviced texts and if you follow this advice, it will turn into silver and gold. Don't be as smart and clever as the other 100, it will lead you to nowhere.

I am reading and watching videos....just dont know where to start...but i appreciate your advice

Go for the gold. I haven't found enough of the other PM's to make it worth going for them directly, not on these boards. Try to learn the gold aspect and as you progress you will learn the steps for cleaning up the other metals, if you keep studying. I take each metal as a separate learning step while studying although I have ran into palladium and a small amount of platinum while working with other materials and was forced to learn how to remove them as a way to purify my gold, there was such a small amount that I haven't tried to work them up into ready to sell metals.

Run them as you would fingers, go for the gold and treat your waste later, keep studying and when time comes to work on your stockpot, you will have a better understanding of how to recover other PM's from there and maybe enough of them to add up to a fair amount. There is a good reason to study dealing with your wastes in the very beginning, if you run low on materials to work with, you can do small stockpots of waste to recover your leftovers, and have something to work with while searching out and collecting more quality material to process. It also has the advantage of keeping your waste down until you get more involved or decide this isn't for you. It isn't difficult to do safely, it just requires the study and understanding with a bit of effort.

Search the forum and learn what materials are the easiest to work with. Start simple and small. You will find that with you first gold powders the amount of knowledge you have gained will be more than you expected. Relax, take a deep breath, then read and study. You will find then that the hands on is a lot more simple when you understand what your trying to do.

I have similar lnb boards remove soda mask from boards. cut them into pieces...after about 4 days they completely dissolved using muriatic acid and hydrogen peroxide ...to my surprise every thing dissolve in liquid..no gold foils. the solution is very dark so if theres silver its hard to tell... ..I hope I didnt let it stay for too long..or maybe its just not gold or silver plated. but many experts told me that theres some gold and silver there...

It sounds like a mess there.

I am not sure what experts you have been listening to, but I think I would spend my time study to learn for myself, so I would not have rely on those experts.

Silver chloride is basically insoluble, so basically you do not have silver in the solution.

200%carat said:
I have similar lnb boards remove soda mask from boards. cut them into pieces...after about 4 days they completely dissolved using muriatic acid and hydrogen peroxide ...to my surprise every thing dissolve in liquid..no gold foils. the solution is very dark so if theres silver its hard to tell... ..I hope I didnt let it stay for too long..or maybe its just not gold or silver plated. but many experts told me that theres some gold and silver there...

If your material still has any metals on them then any values will have cemented back out, if no metals test with stannous to prove presence of gold. The problem if as you say it has all dissolved you have a real mess to separate the values. If you have gold in your solution I suggest putting copper sheet into it and allow the gold to cement out. While waiting for that to occur, its not instant, I suggest some heavy reading and study here on the forum to learn the proper processes to be succesful.

nickvc said:
200%carat said:

If your material still has any metals on them then any values will have cemented back out, if no metals test with stannous to prove presence of gold. The problem if as you say it has all dissolved you have a real mess to separate the values. If you have gold in your solution I suggest putting copper sheet into it and allow the gold to cement out. While waiting for that to occur, its not instant, I suggest some heavy reading and study here on the forum to learn the proper processes to be succesful.

could gold dissolve in muriatic acid and peroxide without heat?

The gold on most LNB boards is so thin they will not leave foils to often. They will turn to powders, even in AP unless you have some of the higher grade boards mentioned earlier in this thread. What exactly do you mean by "Everything dissolved", I have never seen an entire board dissolve, just the metals from the the boards surface. If you have managed to remove the plating from the boards, and you don't know where your metals went to, then you have started something a little to early, you haven't thought out the next step. Read up on AP on the forum, the guided tour will get there, and through that reading will find your next step.

edit: for poor spelling

Shark said:
The gold on most LNB boards is so thin they will not leave foils to often. They will turn to powders, even in AP unless you have some of the higher grade boards mentioned earlier in this thread. What exactly do you mean by "Everything dissolved", I have never seen an entire board dissolve, just the metals from the the boards surface. If you have managed to remove the plating from the boards, and you don't know where your metals went to, then you have started something a little to early, you haven't thought out the next step. Read up on AP on the forum, the guided tour will get there, and through that reading will find your next step.

yes all the platings that you see in the picture above ...not the board

200%carat said:
Shark said:

Im new to this forum..can you tell me what AP means

200%carat said:
200%carat said:
Shark said:

Im new to this forum..can you tell me what AP means
do you mean Acid Peroxide.....cause that what i used

AP = Hydrochloric Acid (Muriatic Acid) and Hydrogen Peroxide. AP is a term used to describe your process of acid peroxide. It is also a term used in a search to find more results describing the process and the how and when to use it, along with Acid peroxide. You had the right idea, just not enough of the know how once you got to the point your at. Breaking the entire thing down can be very complicated, but crudely put, you are recovering metals with AP (Acid Peroxide). Once recovered they still need further refining to achieve a higher quality metal. Hoke's books will guide you in refining, and is well suited to those not highly educated in math, chemistry and many other things needed to fully understand the whole picture. (As I am not educated in many these as well) The forums have a great many posts on recovering the metals from electronics that aren't described in her books, the forums are the place to learn about them. There is quite a lot to learn, and many go with recovery only, and find it better suited to them or more profitable to sell at that point, rather than refining. As you read the forums, you will find the area or area's best suited for you. I do it for the knowledge and never really expect to make any money from it, I just enjoy the whole of it. Seeing the final results of the work involved is my accomplishment. If I happen to make a few dollars, so be it, it just isn't my main goal at this time.

Edit: I am fairly new to all of this as well, please do not count me among the many true professional level people on the forums. I am learning slowly, and only doing small things to learn from still. But I am gathering a few gold powders and having fun.

Latest posts

Back