Help with heavy Gold top CPUs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Owltech said:
kernels said:
Hi there forum gurus,

Was hoping for a bit of advice about how to deal with the types of processors shown in the picture. They have the big and heavy integrated, plated heatsinks which I assume are Copper based ?

Thanks!

Big_Gold_Tops.jpg

Hi I would like to share my experience with these CPUs:

from AMD K5 gold top/ gold lid 10 CPUs 378g 2.45g Au or 6.48g Au/kg https://youtu.be/eJwodZri9qM
from 10 IBM 686 & 10 Cyrix 686 CPUs mix 830g 2.45g Au or 2.95g Au/kg https://youtu.be/irMDfWA5SM8

plus

from 4.96kg i386 & i486 ceramic CPUs mix 43g Au or 8.67g Au/kg https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLm8aBXzLPMM_NHr8UxLkDfOgApABQrzO
from 1,028kg AMD 486 5.9g Au or 5.73g Au/kg https://youtu.be/xHJ7RoglI_0
from 10 AMD 386 162g 1.57g Au or 9.69g Au/kg https://youtu.be/DLAmanHvUxM

also, I've noticed something peculiar:
about 0.046g Au per gram of kovar lids (I've got almost the same yield from all kovar lids processed so far, regardless of the manufacturer)
another observation I've made (when it comes to ceramic CPUs with gold plated kovar lid only) is the corelation between the yield form the lid compared to the overall yield of a CPU (38-40% of the gold is in the lid)

maybe it's all just a coincidence but I still find it strange...

Nice analysis and yields there Owl, appreciate you sharing them.

from 6 Intel Pentium Pro 256k CPUs 1.9g Au or just over 0.31g Au per CPU or 3.56g Au / kg https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLm8aBXzLPMMsJRYqxLdBK81JsF84J9kJ

lazersteve said:
If you follow Sam's protocol you will be hard pressed to recover all of the silver and you will be picking tungsten shards out of the left overs if you want to sell it for an additional profit

Tungsten dissolved in AR also gives false positives to the stannous chloride test. As an added issue the tungsten will leave a yellow layer in your beakers and buckets. The yellow tungsten oxide can be removed, but it is just one more step you will need to perform to keep your reaction containers free of contaminates.

Steve

I thought you were done with the hate...

No hate in my post Sam, just simple straight forward facts. I actually like you very much Sam. :D

Your methods will work, but they will have the deficiencies that I pointed out, not to be hateful, but to provide the forum with as much information on the subject as possible. Anyone interested in maximizing their recovery returns in silver, gold, and tungsten from any cpu with an integrated tungsten/copper heat spreader will benefit from my suggestions. As a generalized comparison, you can run 10kt and 14kt jewelry in AR directly and recover gold, but you will have issues with the silver chloride formation that will have to be dealt with. Alternately you can inquart the karat scrap and recover all of your values. Both methods recover gold, one just does it more efficiently.

For me it is easier and a more efficient use of my time to remove the tungsten from the reaction prior to digesting the Au. The pure tungsten plates and recovered silver from the braze are commodities that can be sold that adds to your profits.

Steve

lazersteve said:
The copper/tungsten heat spreaders are soldered on with silver alloy braze. They easily fall off when free of grease and stickers and the chip is allowed to soak in dilute nitric acid. You end up with gold foils from the lid, a clean tungsten plate, a ceramic cpu housing, kovar plated gold legs, a cpu die, gold bonding wires (if present), and a solution containing copper and silver nitrate. Remove the gold plated bottom lids if you are working with cpus that have them (P60/75/90, etc). For ceramic bottom lidded cpus simply fracture the bottom lid enough to allow the acid into the core/bonding wire area of the cpu (expose the core).

Steve

Hi Steve

I'll try a batch your way this weekend. Always up to try a new method. Let me know what strength of Nitric you class as dilute for these purposes please would you? My raw Nitric is 67% so what would I add?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Jon, an equal volume of water will work just fine.

Be sure to remove grease, stickers, bottom lids, and components so they don't end up in your foils.

anachronism said:
lazersteve said:
The copper/tungsten heat spreaders are soldered on with silver alloy braze. They easily fall off when free of grease and stickers and the chip is allowed to soak in dilute nitric acid. You end up with gold foils from the lid, a clean tungsten plate, a ceramic cpu housing, kovar plated gold legs, a cpu die, gold bonding wires (if present), and a solution containing copper and silver nitrate. Remove the gold plated bottom lids if you are working with cpus that have them (P60/75/90, etc). For ceramic bottom lidded cpus simply fracture the bottom lid enough to allow the acid into the core/bonding wire area of the cpu (expose the core).

Steve

Hi Steve

I'll try a batch your way this weekend. Always up to try a new method. Let me know what strength of Nitric you class as dilute for these purposes please would you? My raw Nitric is 67% so what would I add?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Let us know how it goes Jon, I have processed all of them for now, but will be doing future batches Steve's way.

I use a set of front cutters with a modified bite so that one point of the bite hits about halfway from the center of the lid to the edge of the lid on kovar lids. The second point of the cutter is ground off. This tool doubles as a mmlc remover. I will dig up pictures of my custom tool made from a 8" pair of front cutters.

For ceramic bottom lids a couple gentle taps with a small hammer will fracture the lid only so the lid debris can be dumped out when the cpu is flipped. You don't have to clear the ceramic around the edge, just expose the core to the acid so it can work on the die side. You will find several cpu types (Orions and similarly constructed) that the spreader is brazed directly to the die with gold alloy.

I have a whole series of pictures on an old phone I will dig up for clairity.

20180321_191955.jpg

20180321_191958.jpg

20180321_193227.jpg

20180321_193248.jpg

Steve

A little "left field" but I ran some procs using this pre soak in weak Nitric over the weekend. Normally these particular lids pose a problem but as you can see they now don't.

A point to note - the legs also came off very easily after this treatment with just a light brush with a gloved finger. I like this. It meant I didn't have to put the lids through processing.

Attachments

• Nitric lids .jpg
    Nitric lids .jpg
    271.7 KB
Jon,

You should try the process on some cpus with the tungsten heat spreader. These are the types of cpus where this method really shines as you will recover the Ag from the braze as well as the tungsten from the spreader.

Steve

lazersteve said:
Jon,

You should try the process on some cpus with the tungsten heat spreader. These are the types of cpus where this method really shines as you will recover the Ag from the braze as well as the tungsten from the spreader.

Steve

I have to admit your method gave the best yield on Pentium Pro 256k CPU: 0.35g Au (although this could have been just a coincidence)
Pentium Pro 256k ceramic CPU - gold recovery methods tried so far:

smelting 0.31g Au;
de-soldering and AR 0.32g Au;
HNO3, AR, de-soldering, AR 0.35g Au

Latest posts

Back