help with process

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taffaej

I am new to this forum... and new to refining as well.

I have been in the computer repair business for a long time and just decided to start this whole refining thing to see if it can be my new hobby.

I am looking to refine gold, silver and palladium, I've done a little research and came up with my plan noted below, but before I do my first small batch of computer scrap I thought I would ask all of you if my plan is valid or if you experts can help me get it right the first time.

Here is my plan....

I’m going to submerging my parts in HCI (32%) diluted with just a touch of water and warmed to just a simmer.

Then my plan is to add sodium / potassium nitrate or nitric acid (76%)
Once dissolved and to room temperature I am going to remove the solution to a new beaker with ice leaving the scrap behind.

Add a few drops of sulfuric acid and then an hour or so later filter the solution again.

Start gold precipitation with SMB, stir lightly and let it stand for 12-24 hours.

In a day or two filter out the gold washing with a bit of distilled water.

Let the powder dry for a day and then melt.

So what do you think??

There are different methods for different kinds of scrap. What kind of scrap do you have? Whole boards? Fingers? CPUs?

Have you read Hoke's yet? Watched the various videos from lasersteve and sam?

Usually it's best to to do all of the above, more than once, before even attempting any refining.

Your plan looks very generalized and without the solid foundation of different refining processes (Hoke's book) any hiccup could lead to a huge mess for you, or worse if you aren't using the proper safety.

jack_burton said:
There are different methods for different kinds of scrap. What kind of scrap do you have? Whole boards? Fingers? CPUs?

Have you read Hoke's yet? Watched the various videos from lasersteve and sam?

Usually it's best to to do all of the above, more than once, before even attempting any refining.

Your plan looks very generalized and without the solid foundation of different refining processes (Hoke's book) any hiccup could lead to a huge mess for you, or worse if you aren't using the proper safety.

Excellent advice! Read and read and study some more. Don't jump into this without the required knowledge. These chemicals and processes done incorrectly can not only leave you with a mess, but could be detrimental to your health. Search various post and KNOW how to deal with different materials and waste SAFELY!!!!!! No amount of gold is worth endangering your or your loved ones well being.

taffaej said:
I am new to this forum... and new to refining as well.

I have been in the computer repair business for a long time and just decided to start this whole refining thing to see if it can be my new hobby.

I am looking to refine gold, silver and palladium, I've done a little research and came up with my plan noted below, but before I do my first small batch of computer scrap I thought I would ask all of you if my plan is valid or if you experts can help me get it right the first time.

Here is my plan....

I’m going to submerging my parts in HCI (32%) diluted with just a touch of water and warmed to just a simmer.

Then my plan is to add sodium / potassium nitrate or nitric acid (76%)
Once dissolved and to room temperature I am going to remove the solution to a new beaker with ice leaving the scrap behind.

Add a few drops of sulfuric acid and then an hour or so later filter the solution again.

Start gold precipitation with SMB, stir lightly and let it stand for 12-24 hours.

In a day or two filter out the gold washing with a bit of distilled water.

Let the powder dry for a day and then melt.

So what do you think??
What I think is you should lose your plan and learn how to refine, so you don't spend your time doing things that don't make sense.
Do you understand the concept of garbage in, garbage out?
Do you grasp the significance of not dissolving values along with base metals?
Do you have any idea of the problems that are associated with dissolving tin along with values?
Have you read Hoke's book?

Harold

I guess you have heard about all the gold that is in computer parts. GO FOR IT! :mrgreen: Let us know how it comes out, I have been told there is an ounce in every computer. :roll: where i would like to know.

Thanks to all for your comments. I will continue reading and learning... the computer stuff keeps rolling in the door so I will just continue to stock pile until I feel better about the refining process.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back