Hey there from California

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lustreking56

Thanks for having me! I've been reading posts here daily and watching countless videos in efforts to get to the point where I can refine my first batch. I have a biology degree and am comfortable with the equipment and processes. I won't start until I'm comfortable with my knowledge of the process and a solid plan for properly processing, storing, and disposing of waste material. I've started to collect scrap and have a pretty good start. Most of the tools and things that I own are vintage from the 1940s through the 1960s so I'll be using vintage gear when it's safe and possible. Already picked up a vintage magnetic stirrer/hotplate (pic attached). Can't wait to get started! Cheers, Shane
Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 2.05.53 PM.png

Hi James, I first did a google image search for vintage stir plates, and then found it on eBay. I think there were a couple on there. I was surprised at how nice this one was. Came from a lab equipment reseller.
Take care, Shane

Very cute.
But Kit rarely remains nice for very long in a metal's lab.
Also, I would be nervous about balancing a Corning ware dish and beaker on something so high with such a small footprint.
The Stability of a nice large hotplate is great for safety.
Spills can be very expensive.

Yes, I was definitely concerned about stability with the small surface. I’m going to make a platform of stainless with legs and a hole in the center to increase the surface area. Definitely don’t want any spills

Back