Hi, I’m Skeeter8154

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I forget to start at the top again.
I stand corrected, but that still opens another can of worms.

If there are metallic parts in there they will likely be damaged if the hood is forgotten or turned off to early.

So make sure there are no tools or cars in that garage.
I’m researching to build a good strong fume hood with a good scrubber that I can recycle some nitric acid fume. I don’t want to clear out the whole garage. Most of my tools and stuff are in plastic totes and I have a couple of metal cabinets. That’s my plan. No car in garage only a couple of lawnmowers also have a natural gas heater in the garage and a window a/c unit that will be at least 6ft away from hood. Does this sound fine?

Any metal in an area will rust away, and when even working outside any metal in a wide area where the wind blows will rust, these gases reform acids when they come into contact with the moisture in the air, and any metal in their path will suffer attack from corrosion or oxidation.

A good number of professional refiners designate a corner of their building for acid refining. They have hoods and scrubbers which run whenever a reaction is under way. The rest of the shop has plenty of metal objects which occasionally need attention for rust but IF they keep to the covered waste plan they are OK. But they have to be diligent because the uncovered acid is always “waiting” for a chance to waft up into the shop.

I know one small jeweler/refiner who bought an all plastic garbage pail storage shed. Maybe 4’ long. 2’ deep and 4’ tall and installed a PVC duct with a 4” computer fan in line exhausting out of the shop. It sits right in his work area. All waste goes in there, the doors are closed and the waste is still in covered containers. The muffin fan never goes off and he said he has replaced the muffin fan once in 3 years. He has hoods for his reactions. The storage shed is JUST for waste storage!

A good number of professional refiners designate a corner of their building for acid refining. They have hoods and scrubbers which run whenever a reaction is under way. The rest of the shop has plenty of metal objects which occasionally need attention for rust but IF they keep to the covered waste plan they are OK. But they have to be diligent because the uncovered acid is always “waiting” for a chance to waft up into the shop.

I know one small jeweler/refiner who bought an all plastic garbage pail storage shed. Maybe 4’ long. 2’ deep and 4’ tall and installed a PVC duct with a 4” computer fan in line exhausting out of the shop. It sits right in his work area. All waste goes in there, the doors are closed and the waste is still in covered containers. The muffin fan never goes off and he said he has replaced the muffin fan once in 3 years. He has hoods for his reactions. The storage shed is JUST for waste storage!
Thanks 4 metals this is my plan to keep use of my garage. Thanks for all the feed back from everyone.

Same here, 6 inch home wet room ventilator fans. But I bought them new. 15 ish dollars and they lasted a couple of years each. The downside was that when they failed they sometimes shorted and blew the fuses.
So I went to a Venturi system with a fan from these inflatable castles, reasonable cheap and silent.
Have you got photos or videos of yours in action? I’ve done exactly the same but I don’t think I’m getting the desired suction. I’d rather see an example instead of trusting I’ve done it right and wait for a whiff of NOX

Have you got photos or videos of yours in action? I’ve done exactly the same but I don’t think I’m getting the desired suction. I’d rather see an example instead of trusting I’ve done it right and wait for a whiff of NOX
Sorry, I have decommissioned it, and are without a lab for the time being.
I used a fan from one of these Jumping castles.

Latest posts

Back