Hi new here from Aruba

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all, nice meeting y'all
I went to a 200 year old goldmine here on the island today, I'm pretty sure we found gold dust, so my question is ; what next? it's mixed with dirt, what to do after washing it. :lol:

i expect from you to find gold in a 300 years old gold mine next time ! i'll keep for myself every coment until than.

sorry mate, have no idea what you're talking about, just want to know how I separate the gold from the dirt :)

i was just chuckling! in your first post about the thread you have said it was an 100 years old gold mine. let's say it is a 150 years old ! peace!

ha ha you got me there, 100 150 years, sorry;short history: By 1642, the 80-year war between Spain and Holland was drawing to a close, and it was in this year that the Dutch took possession of Aruba, In 1824 gold was discovered and was mined extensively. Eventually gold supplies dwindled and the once-booming mining industry became unprofitable resulting in all operations ceasing in 1916.so to repeat my question what do I do with this dirty gold dust? :p

Pan the dirt off of the gold dust and process the gold dust via inquartation followed by AR.

You can watch the inquartation process on my website http://goldrecovery.us .

Welcome to the forum,

Steve

If the gold found is truly just dust, there's no need for inquartation. Even if it contains a relatively high percentage of silver, with the very small cross section, it will usually dissolve totally in AR before the layer of hard silver chloride can form. What little that does form is shed easily.

While I don't normally recommend the direct dissolution of values without inquartation, there are exceptions, and this is one of them, due in part to the large amount of silver that is normally required in order to achieve the 25% gold concentration. It works perfectly well for small particles, but not well at all for large ones.

My normal procedure for such material was to incinerate, a boil in dilute nitric, then dissolution in AR.

Harold

dear Harold, I have to admit that, I am so new to this, incinerate, how? and boil in nitrite , what is the normale name for that? and what is AR, hope I don't offend you with these questions, I did the spoon thing on the stove, and the dust got more shine then before, and nothing popped.so i'm on the right track, thanks for your time

Dear Mr. "Aruba" i will give you the clues to spare the more precious time of Mr. Harold . hope he doesn't bother ! so, incineration means to burn somehow the grains in question , to got them red hot without melting them. " nitric " is in fact HNO3, a strong and dangerous acid. "AR" is the acronym of Aqua Regia wich you have lo learn about ,roaming inside the forum. good luck and read until the chair become one with your butt !!

lejo said:
dear Harold, I have to admit that, I am so new to this, incinerate, how? and boil in nitrite , what is the normale name for that? and what is AR, hope I don't offend you with these questions, I did the spoon thing on the stove, and the dust got more shine then before, and nothing popped.so i'm on the right track, thanks for your time
Use a small stainless pan to incinerate. Get the material red hot, but as you were advised, do not melt!

The comments by machiavelli976 are spot on. After incineration, you would give the material a wash with dilute nitric acid, which would remove traces of base metals and any free silver that may be present. You would then dissolve the remains with AR (aqua regia). After dissolution, you would evaporate to expel any unused nitric, dilute, filter, then precipitate the values. You would remove silver in filtration, which will have been converted to silver chloride. You would also remove any substances that would not dissolve in AR.

All of this is well covered in Hoke's book. Do yourself a huge favor and read until it makes sense. It may take a couple swats before it sinks in, but it's very simple once you understand the procedures. You will struggle endlessly if you do not gain an understanding of basic refining principles.

Harold

Latest posts

Back