high density liquid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anyong know a liquid or chemical that can be dissolved in water or not if it is already a liquid with a density in the area of 7g/cm3 or greater?

Looking for something nearly innert and evironmently freindly.

thanks

Jim

I use zinc chloride powder dissolved in water to separate the plastics from the metals, from my crushed materials (gold plated plugs and so on). The plastics float and the metals sink to the bottom. Unfortunately I don’t know what its density is.

I want to put the liquid in a bucket and put ground up scrap on top and have the metals sink and the other junk float.

Jim

Then you need to make up a solution that has a density in between the densities of the metals and the junk. Also, the solution shouldn't be corrosive to either phase.

People that sell magnets sell a premixed version but it isn't cheap. Ordering from SA is expensive too. I sent some books there a few years ago and it ran about $6. per pound for shipping.

You might contact them to see if they have a US agent.

There exists no liquid at atmospheric pressure and ambient temperature that has a specific gravity of 7 g/cc.

Some heavy brines can be made that have densities in the mid 2s. After that comes thallium malonate (highly toxic-saturated it is in the mid 4s) and I think sodium polytungstate is probably the cheapest, safest, and most effective and is probably around 4,5. I have a brochure somewhere from a company that manufactures super dense fluids.

Lou

Lou said:
There exists no liquid at atmospheric pressure and ambient temperature that has a specific gravity of 7 g/cc.

Some heavy brines can be made that have densities in the mid 2s. After that comes thallium malonate (highly toxic-saturated it is in the mid 4s) and I think sodium polytungstate is probably the cheapest, safest, and most effective and is probably around 4,5. I have a brochure somewhere from a company that manufactures super dense fluids.

Lou

Ferrofluids are a suspension of ferrosilicon in water with a surfactant. They can re used to separate materials with different densities. DeBeers has been using this material to separate diamonds from gangue since the 50's.

http://www.dmspowders.com/technical-support.aspx

Heavy Media Separation Process

Heavy media separation is a well-established density separation process, ideally suited for the separation of minerals, ores and scrap metals, with specific gravities ranging from 2 – 4.5. Modern dense media plants use a suspension of dense powder in water to act as an artificial ‘heavy liquid’ in separating mineral particles in a sink-float process. Ferrosilicon powders with a relative density of 6.7-7.1 containing 13-16% silicon are commonly used as the dense powder.

Bah, technicalities. Call it ferrofluid all you want, it is still a suspension! Yet I concede that you are correct if you go by physical descriptions of what makes a fluid a fluid and a liquid a liquid. I approached his query from the idea that he wanted a chemical that could be added to water to make a super dense solution.

I should have said there exist no solutions with a density of 7.

Still, you caught me :D

Lou said:

Lou

Now, there's a use for Mercury..... :twisted:

HAHAHAHAH. I give up Irons! You're right, you're right, you're right! I'm slipping up these days. Methinks all the aqua regia fumes are getting to me.

I'll just shut it and retire to my corner (where is my corner?! :shock: )

8)

I'm glad you pay attention.

Lou said:
HAHAHAHAH. I give up Irons! You're right, you're right, you're right! I'm slipping up these days. Methinks all the aqua regia fumes are getting to me.

I'll just shut it and retire to my corner (where is my corner?! :shock: )

8)

I'm glad you pay attention.

The more eyeballs on a problem the better.

There are a lot of very smart people with a lot of experience on this board. I think the cumulative knowledge is a very powerful tool.

You can come out of your corner now. :lol:

Back