Hoke's Book! (Questions)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
upcyclist said:
If you've only been putting filtered solutions in your stock pot, then you shouldn't have any solids, much less silver chloride & lead sulfate, in your stock pot. Note that this is only true if you're purely using Hoke's methods (in which case, you've probably also killed your dog and generally made Mother Nature cry).

The stock pot is one of those places where many modern refiners stray from Hoke's methods. My stock pot is continuously processing, with a bubbler and scrap copper in it, so I always have some solids in there, as it's also the first step of my acid waste processing.

I don't even have a stock pot yet :cry: I barely get to work on my material.

I was just looking for different things in the book that were misspelt, or out of place etc, while I'm reading it again.

My stock pot/waste process (based on what 4metals posted in this thread):

Edited to add: I am in no way denigrating Hoke's methods--it's just that what is considered "safe to discard" has greatly changed in the intervening 70 years. In fact, since I'm not currently refining e-scrap, this is my only major divergence from Hoke's methods.

That definately sounds like a good way to run your stock pot. It really has changed alot from what's in the book compared to now. I wouldn't go as far as adding a new chapter to the book, because of its significance to the ways it used to be done (which are probably still used for certain items), but maybe a seperate small booklet especially for E-scrap that goes with it. Then again, Lazersteves DVDs, or others, most likely have an updated version already.

Back