Home built centrifuge - gold concenrates from IC's

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incredible after spending literally weeks in hot AR, my camera flash tells me there is still a precious metal left in what should be a discard.

What your looking at is the bottom side of the mud ( vacuum filtered the last of the gold chloride free ) the filter cake after tipping it free from the filter then the paper peeled away.

Check out the colloidal gold left behind on the filter cake, then the edges to the dish, then have a look at the filter papers top right hand side. All that purple colloidal gold visible from the camera flash - $$$$

My rinse water was after several rinses coming out clear, the filter papers top right hand corner snow white and yet a loss in gold clearly shown. The camera flash picks up what the naked human eye can not. I love forensic science.

Attachments

• paper.png
    paper.png
    521.7 KB · Views: 409
  • dish.png
    dish.png
    846.7 KB · Views: 409
  • one.png
    one.png
    470.8 KB · Views: 409
  • 100_7523.JPG
    100_7523.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 409
If I were a glass blower there's enough colloidal gold here to make a lifetime supply of Cranberry Glass, the spatter on the hotplate came from a half full vision ware pot evaporating a bit of chloride down.

The temperature was kept low the spatter came from off gassing which carried the gold over the top of the pot, off gassing will occur anytime your AR has free nitric.

Next is a sheet of fireproof board that my frying pan sat on full of filters which I had incinerated, I had a cover over the pan so the ash would stay put during the burn and the amount of gold left on the sheet is absurd not to mention what went to atmosphere.

I'm sure there is probably less than a few milligrams of gold spattered about but over time this adds up to a considerable loss which I would rather not see. Especially with gold that put so much work and effort into obtaining.

Any ideas how to keep that gold where it belongs would be appreciated. A watch glass over the pot would have kept the AR from spattering, how about the filters during incineration.

Attachments

• 100_7525.JPG
    100_7525.JPG
    804.5 KB · Views: 392
  • 100_7524.JPG
    100_7524.JPG
    843 KB · Views: 392
The forums second most asked question, How much gold do you think.

Evaporation has begun, 10,000 ml gold chloride in reactor with another 5 liters waiting to be added. Hopefully my chloride solution will not crystallize before coming to an end leaving me enough head room for the addition of distilled water.

I have taken the time to let the chloride settle out over days, then filtering into a super clean flask, washing the flask every time the chloride has been removed or transfered. Absolutely no sediments have made it to this point of my process,

I'm shooting for a nice clean gold drop, then taking extra precautions cleaning the precipitated gold powder.

Sadly I'm not able to use my vacuum pump to assist with evaporation. The CFM of this pump will not handle the volume of vapor coming off.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnTEOSCLw64[/youtube]

Noticing that 7400 ttl chips may have gold leads, / i am surprised, i thought they were aluminum, a quick thought as i am following this thread on ideas for processing ic's,
have a look at this, it seems gold bonding wires, i am very surprised. they are the general temp. version , lower cost chip, over the 5400 series, . see here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT1FStxAVz4&feature=player_embedded

Traveller11 said:
Hello Rusty

I was unable to tell from reading the thread, did your centrifuge's bowl use pressurized water injection in the grooves, in the fashion of Knelson and Falcon centrifuges?

What i was unable to explain in plain English the pictures should have covered, go back a re-read from the part where I turned the bowel from a poly solid.

rusty said:
Traveller11 said:
Hello Rusty

I was unable to tell from reading the thread, did your centrifuge's bowl use pressurized water injection in the grooves, in the fashion of Knelson and Falcon centrifuges?

What i was unable to explain in plain English the pictures should have covered, go back a re-read from the part where I turned the bowel from a poly solid.

I don't have the time to read this thread over again. I'll assume the answer is "no".

Traveller11 said:
rusty said:
Traveller11 said:
Hello Rusty

I don't have the time to read this thread over again. I'll assume the answer is "no".

Your right, my bowel is solid not water injected, the commercially manufactured rotary seal used by Knelson and Falcon cost over $2500.00 USD, I did however come up with my own design but not ventured to make a prototype to test my theory.

Should my design prove itself perhaps a patient would be in order,so at this time will not be sharing in details.

If your interested in building your own centrifuge, John Crane is the worlds leading manufacture of mechanical seals. http://www.johncrane.com/productfinder.asp?r=gg

rusty said:
Traveller11 said:
rusty said:
Traveller11 said:
Hello Rusty

Your right, my bowel is solid not water injected, the commercially manufactured rotary seal used by Knelson and Falcon cost over $2500.00 USD, I did however come up with my own design but not ventured to make a prototype to test my theory.

Should my design prove itself perhaps a patient would be in order,so at this time will not be sharing in details.

If your interested in building your own centrifuge, John Crane is the worlds leading manufacture of mechanical seals. http://www.johncrane.com/productfinder.asp?r=gg

I've tried to build a copy of a Falcon I-con and it was always the rotary seal that was the stumbling block. Without the water injection, the impaction becomes a serious drawback. Interestingly, I was quoted a price for the I-con last year of $6808, F.O.B. Vancouver, BC.

Traveller11 said:
rusty said:
Traveller11 said:
rusty said:
Traveller11 said:
Hello Rusty

I've tried to build a copy of a Falcon I-con and it was always the rotary seal that was the stumbling block. Without the water injection, the impaction becomes a serious drawback. Interestingly, I was quoted a price for the I-con last year of $6808, F.O.B. Vancouver, BC.

The seal quote I had was from Savona Equipment http://www.savonaequip.com/ if I had the part number could have input this into the John Crane website.

If you can get a turn key Falcon I-con for $6808.00 grab it. That lab model shown in this thread lists at $13000.00 and change.

rusty said:
Traveller11 said:
rusty said:
Traveller11 said:
rusty said:
Traveller11 said:
Hello Rusty

The seal quote I had was from Savona Equipment http://www.savonaequip.com/ if I had the part number could have input this into the John Crane website.

If you can get a turn key Falcon I-con for $6808.00 grab it. That lab model shown in this thread lists at $13000.00 and change.

http://www.mining.com/falcon-concentrators-is-changing-the-face-of-small-scale-artisanal-gold-mining-around-the-world/

This article is four years old and lists the price as under $6000 CDN. I was quoted $6808 from the manufacturer over the phone in 2012.

kjavanb123 said:
No more follow up result on this post, so any results?

Regards
Kj

Rusty (this Rusty) is no longer a forum member.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=14120

Jim

Back