How do you people find Karat scrap?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YEMX2098

Ok i had just about enough of this. Im a new member that has been monitoring the forums the past few weeks and i must say there are a bunch people that need to check their attitude.. The problem is that the person giving attitude is the same one complaining about others (specifically the new guys) not being respectful.
Has anybody ever heard the term lead by example? To ellaborate on that , those of you that are seasoned refiners should be the ones showing more patience, self discipline and be a welcoming example to the new people..
Dont get me wrong, the majority show such good values but there is always " that guy", more like that 10%.
For those are guilty of such piss poor behavior i have a few things to say.. First off, I not going to practice what i just preached this one time. Im making a exception for the defense of all the new guys who have felt hostility when asking a question.
Ok so those refiners with thin skin and a big mouth, GROW UP! I swear ive never heard so many adults act like gradeschool children, especially like bullies in a school yard.
Ok we get the point we are rookies. Ok we get the point that yall are not. This is why the new guys ask the seasoned refiners for advice. That doesnt mean to belittle them, insult them, or talk to them like as if your some drill instructor. Belive me i would know because im a Marine. I really hope those of yall that this pertains to are not teachers nor instructors because if you are, god help us all. And another thing. None of us were born chemists nor Einsteins. We all started somewhere and somehow. And yes we get that this is a very dangerous hobby and profession. So is my other hobby and former profession as a marksmanship instructor. As like this , small mistakes can be deadly but you will not see me throwing attitude, sarcastic behavior, nor scolding anyone with a question or i observe not following saftey guidelines. A kick in the back of the head down a live firing range will not correct the issue, nor will chewing them out. It just makes a learning environment more dangerous. Just like most things you want to achieve in life you have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run. Finally. THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION IS THE QUESTION NOT ASKED. When a refiner talks down to a new guy it makes them think twice before asking a question. Who knows the question that never gets asked could go unanswered and the answer to that question would be the difference between life or death. If you disaggree with this then i would hope you question your ability to be a good contributor to this forum.
To all fellow rookies and refiners. Stay humble my friends....

Could you be more specific in your views of our members or give examples, we try to run a friendly forum where all are welcome whatever their background, many including me were chemistry and physics failures at school and I had to learn the hard and expensive way which we try to help others avoid.
If you feel some of the advice is harsh it’s because some newbies get into a real and potentially dangerous situation which we hope to stop before it begins or get worse.
Im sure that as a soldier you were recompensed to help train others but unfortunately no one here is paid , all advice and help is given freely using our own time and expending our own energy to do so but we do not spoon feed members they have to put in the effort to read and learn and if that is too much then I would humbly suggest another hobby or profession.

Don't you just hate it when someone comes in and hi-jacks a thread with a bunch of complaints completely unrelated to the thread, that no one can reply to or has any idea which member or comment he's referring to, just to spew his frustration?
There is no 'them' or 'us' we're a collective of people with different backgrounds, culture, etc. etc. spending our free time to learn from others, teach new guys and doing research. We feel a responsibility to do so. Everyone has their own style and has to grow in the role. Some do better than others, some just have a bad day and the filter is off on that moment. Get over it. Grow thicker skin.

This chemistry is DEADLY, and although I really think we should take warning labels off of everything and let evolution take care of things, we also have the moral drive to spend our free time to help, advise and protect members against this extremely dangerous "hobby", and even more: protect our fragile world against idiots throwing their toxic chemical waste in the garden as weed killer, poisoning their ground water, neighbors and nature around them.
Because there is no shortage of idiots om this space rock unfortunately. Unlimited supply, and it only seems to be getting worse.

We keep repeating the same advice over and over and over while it can all be read here on the forum.
So yeah, when a new guy comes in with a wrong or very naive attitude, he will get corrected. If not, there is a good chance he will suffer horrible consequences of his own ignorance. A little sarcasm can be very helpfull to make someone stop and think.
Something we usually have to say ten times to a new overexcited member before he stops adding more and more ?? to the vessel of ?!?!??, asking for help ASAP because he spent his last money on it.

Most of the times we help the new members out with links to good threads to read and get an understanding of the finer details.

like:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threa...imple-question-and-get-a-simple-answer.21412/
There are those who quietly learn and prepare before copying that YouTube video in the worst way possible.

The mods and admins will keep it clean and advice each other in how to best respond to offensive comments.
Thanks to everyone for contributing to this forum in your own way!

Have FUN and stay safe!

(edited for spelling and adding a word or two)

Speaking as someone who is definitely a newbie to this refining of PM. And one who has asked some questions that received some direct answers I say thank you to the forum for those direct answers. They saved me a lot of agony and possible serious injury.

A wise teacher once told me “silence can’t be misquoted.” YEMX2098 You don’t know what you don’t know and you are complaining about the way someone told what you needed to hear. Really?

I don't talk a lot. I read and listen. I'll say this,I've learned more reading here than a thousand Youtube vids. Both about refining and how to do it safely. If you don't like that,go elsewhere. These guys will help you and maybe even save your life and health.

I don't talk a lot. I read and listen. I'll say this,I've learned more reading here than a thousand Youtube vids. Both about refining and how to do it safely. If you don't like that,go elsewhere. These guys will help you and maybe even save your life and health.
This was his last post here, he has not been back since January.
Maybe he will be back later some day.

Well said…covers my sentiments of the forum and its moderators. Thank you all.

Back