How Is The Manganese Removed From Silver War Nickels?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam34falcon

Hey guys,

I have read on many forums and websites that refineries and such do not want to refine silver war nickels because the magnesium is too hard/too expensive to remove. Can anyone explain why or what process is used to refine 35% silver war nickels? I only really understand the basics of refining silver and haven't even had the chance to take chemistry yet (first year of high school, although I refined junk silver for a science fair project), so if someone could explain the process to me like I am 5 years old, I would be very appreciative haha.

Sorry, I just read that is is manganese instead of magnesium. Guess that goes to show how much I know about refining! :)

The question is why you want to refine coins. They are what is known as "self assaying". Anyone who knows anything about coins will know they are 35% silver. Once you refine them, no matter how good of a job you do, you have an unknown metal. Sometimes it is just better to keep things like coins as they are.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
The question is why you want to refine coins. They are what is known as "self assaying". Anyone who knows anything about coins will know they are 35% silver. Once you refine them, no matter how good of a job you do, you have an unknown metal. Sometimes it is just better to keep things like coins as they are.

Dave

Couldn't have been said any better.

Latest posts

Back