How much for CPU?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am curious if you guys/gals buy used CPUs or Motherboards (or anyother computer parts for that matter) to refine gold? What do you pay? What's a good deal (besides free)? How many CPUs do you get per lbs? :)

there are many posts on this, so many types, what you can do is search forum and take note and get ideas for prices, then you get feel for value, but remember the chemicals and time involved, to do electronic scrap is almost imposible to profit from, unless you get the scrap free.
even then ???

butcher said:
there are many posts on this, so many types, what you can do is search forum and take note and get ideas for prices, then you get feel for value, but remember the chemicals and time involved, to do electronic scrap is almost imposible to profit from, unless you get the scrap free.
even then ???

I agree there are way too many posts and most contradict each other. As far as making profit, all depends on a material. I am just trying to get a fill for the market (by asking questions). Feel free to add any useful information.

do a search you will find info like below.
most of what you will find on this forum is accurate, to the best of our knowlede, if someone see's it is not we will correct it to the best of our knowlede, there are to many varibles in this question. like whats a good deal? free is a good deal, and someone else reading for you and processing your gold for you would be a good deal, sorry this is as much as I can help with this question, the information is here in the forum, what has been hashed out for you to read.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- this has been discussed several places on the forum, do a search for more info than I can povide, as I have not this info from my results, can only give you notes of what Others have stated,
from my notes how accurate dont know
486-3$--0.15ozAu--0.66Ag
pentium pro-7$---0.33g-someAg
cut fingers-1/2to3g/#
15 to 20 AMD to make gram
average #CPU--3grams
pentI # ceramic 2 to 5 gram Au
pentI fiber 1 to 2 gram Au
slotI or slotII 0.25-0.5 g---2g/#
cpu lids 1oz/#
152ea SCSI--1g
low grade pin---1/4g/#
mid- high grade pin 1g/#
an cpu scrap buyer pays :
large pnt pro w/gold lid 2.50$
fiber and AMD cyrix chips 0.85$
intel,AMD.cyrix W/ gold lid 1.25$
AMD W/ aluminum lid 0.50$
small intel or AMD hard plate 0.35$
green fiber intel or AMD 0.35$
intel celeron fiber 0.50$
memory card 0.10$
memmory Wcpu card 0.35$
www.cpubuyer.com

now these figures are only from my notes and I cammot veryify them
some of it was from this forum , and other internet sources,
my suggestion if you want to know for sure is get one disolve it drop the gold and refine and melt & weigh it.
all my stuff is added together and I havent done any analisis of this,
because I wouldn't want to Know if I paid way to much or waisted to much time on it ,,,,, its a hobby for me ......
think i could make more money cutting firewood, but thats not as interesting and I wouldnt be learning this science ART.

I've been buying cpus for several years and yes you can make money if you follow some simple rules.
First and probably most important is know your material. What this means is the yield of gold per pound. Each type of chip will have different amounts of au.
I would rather have one pound of 386s then one pound of pentium pros. Both are high yielding, but a higher ratio per lb for the much smaller chip(386).
Also try and buy your chemicals in bulk if you want to do this on a larger scale. It is a lot cheaper than the smaller quantities.
The price of gold going up over the past six years has certainly helped . :lol:

I have 6 different computer shops I visit every other week. I take Whatever they offer and process the parts... I get phone boards form one place and power supplies and old computers form another. Then some MB and cards form another shop. I make no difference as to what I get I do make money on all of it and I get it all for the asking. You just have to form a plan and follow through with it.... Sometimes I get a lot other times I get very little. Either way I'm happy. :D

Ray

Back