How to get to the GOLD?????

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgoodbar

Okay folks so this is my problem. I've got in my possession about 5 pounds of really nice trim. There's very little exposed gold plating on the tracing. Actually it's not even on the tracing these are little dots that are all over the entire board. Well these dots are also plated gold. I put them in a solution of 31.9% hydrochloric acid with hydrogen peroxide which is what I usually use to strip the gold off of unpopulated boards. The problem is its not eating up the green coating over the traces. How do I accomplish this? Is there an easy way or do I have to scrape each one of them individually. I mean I would do that if I had to because literally the entire board is covered with these dots which are plated with gold. But there has to be an easier way please help. Thank you guys and gals!

Thank you Butcher I'll try searching for that right now that's a big help. It really does help with you know what to call something lol. I'll keep you posted!

drgoodbar said:
Okay folks so this is my problem. I've got in my possession about 5 pounds of really nice trim.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: In my day, a little trim was what you did with a good looking gal. :lol:

Glad to see we all speak a common language :shock:
Are the boards populated :?:
Is their solder on the boards :?:
Are all base metals completely removed from the boards :?:
A single picture would have answered all of this. :shock:

Boil in Lye, NaOH this will remove the green solder mask. CAUTION should be used here, NaOH (lye) is dangerous, stay away from the fumes, DO NOT get it on your shin (Wear face shield, gloves, long sleeve shirt.) Breathing the fumes can and will cause death.

Ken

Noblemetalworks had a post on using a lye paste that he made to remove the solder mask. Sounded a bit more safer than boiling lye.

yar said:
Noblemetalworks had a post on using a lye paste that he made to remove the solder mask. Sounded a bit more safer than boiling lye.

I use a low simmer instead of a boil to remove solder mask. It takes a little longer but it does the trick

Latest posts

Back