How to increase The concentration of Hcl from 18% to 33 % ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aalliedchemicals

Hello Everyone!
I want to increase the concentration of dilute Hydrochloric acid from 18%(which i am getting as a byproduct during the production of Potassium Nitrate using potassium chloride and dil. HNO3 (60%) as raw materials)to 30 -33% concentration.
Awaiting for your valuable reply!

Regards,
K. Raja Senthil,
Chennai
India.

HCl has an azeotrope of 20% HCl and 80% water, what this means to you for concentrating your acid simply, you can evaporate a weak HCl solution up to 20% concentration, by evaporating off a portion of water until 20% HCl remains.

Being you have an 18% HCl solution I would just use it in most any process we use HCl in, as in most all processes that we need concentrated acid, heat is used any way and the heat naturally drives off water first.

The exception I can think of now to this is, if your HCl acid (byproduct) was not a fairly pure solution, and would have other contaminates or chemicals that may adversely effect what your planning on using it on, in that case you may need to distill or use some other method to get a more purer product.

"azeotrope " was hard to remember, thanks butcher ... I was searching for isotrope :oops: but searching the right keyword bring up the topic I was referring to http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=21518

Latest posts

Back