how to recover the fine gold. (from black sands)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadDOG

Fine gold can become black with a mold or allege growth on it.
(look at the picture of my nugget of gold with the black growth on it.)
The black sands can also be just like this nugget a lot of what you think is just black sand can be gold. So this is how you can recover it.

Put all the black sands in a rock tumbler for a day or a few hours.
This will clean the black growth off the gold.
then just put your black sands in a plastic gold pan and fan it out. then roll a large bead of mercury around. it will suck up the gold.

Mercury will attach its self to gold it will cling to it. So your mercury will suck up all the fine gold in to a lumpy ball of mercury. After you see that the mercury has sucked up a lot of gold. You can strain it with a cloth. Not sure on the type of cloth to use.
But you just squeeze the excess mercury through the cloth. So you have a glob of gold coated with a little mercury. (This way you only have to process a small amount of mercury.)

Now take this lump of gold covered in mercury and put it in a small tub of nitric acid.
(Do this in a vary well ventilated area not sure what gasses it will make but I am sure it’s not good and might even kill you.) ((Please look this up before you do it.))

From what I remember the nitric acid will absorb the mercury and leave the gold.
Seeing nitric acid will not harm gold.
(There is a trick to getting the mercury back out of the acid also.)

I am not sure what was done to the acid after the gold was removed if anything.
(if anyone knows please fill me in on this.)

But if you add a copper nail or bar. The mercury will condense back on the copper.
All you have to do is scrape it off the copper and your back in business.

Attachments

• blacknugget.gif
    blacknugget.gif
    29 KB · Views: 1,033
Simple methods for the treatment of gold
by Gary Livermore, [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Separating the find gold from your concentrates

The simplest and cheapest way for the small-scale placer miner to retrieve the fine gold from the concentrates can be done in six simple steps. You will need a plastic gold pan, distilled water, household lye, an ounce of mercury, nitric acid, a Pyrex measuring cup, safety goggles, rubber gloves, and a rubber apron, a flat copper bar or sheet of copper, and assorted sizes of gold vials. You also may wish to use a miner's magnet. If you have a rock tumbler, you will need a piece of hexagonal steel bar that will fit into the tumbler or several stainless-steel ball bearings.

Place some concentrates into a plastic gold pan (about 1/2 full) and cover the concentrates with distilled water. Add one tablespoon of household lye to the concentrates and swirl the liquid around for several minutes. This will remove surface impurities, such as dirt and oils, from the gold. If you have a rock tumbler, use that instead. Fill the tumbler 1/3 to 1/2 full, cover with water, add 1 tablespoon of lye to it, and let it run for about one hour.

Pour off the lay-laden water and add fresh water to it, and add one ounce of mercury.
WARNING! When using lye, you should wear safety goggles and rubber gloves (and a rubber apron would be a good idea, too) to avoid getting any spilled or splashed on your skin or in your eyes.

WARNING! When using mercury, you should wear safety goggles and rubber gloves (and a rubber apron would be a good idea, too) to avoid getting any spilled or splashed on your skin or in your eyes.

WARNING! Do not inhale any fumes from from lye or mercury!

Slowly swirl the contents with the mercury. As the mercury goes around the pan, it will pick up all the finest gold in the pan. The more gold there is, the stiffer the mercury becomes. If using a tumbler, do the same, but in a tumbler you can add a hexagonal stainless steel bar to roll with it inside, or several stainless ball-bearings. The steel bar will help grind the black sands, and release any gold that is attached to the black sand. Run the tumbler for at least three hours.

Once you have all the gold gathered, pan off the black sands, or use a magnet in a plastic baggie to retrieve the black sands, leaving only the gold-laden mercury and free mercury. The free mercury will roll around easily, where the gold-laden mercury is stiff and does not roll well. Place your mercury container INSIDE another gold pan, and pour off the free mercury into the container. Using another pan keeps it from spilling out onto the floor or ground. If you spill mercury on the floor (or the living room carpeting), you will be inhaling evaporating fumes for years!

Now that you have a solid ball of gold-laden mercury in the plastic pan; flush it out into a glass measuring cup. (I buy Pyrex pie pans and cups at thrift stores all the time.) Now add enough water to cover the mercury ball. Working outside and up wind, add a few drops of nitric acid (usually available in small bottles at prospecting stores). Keep adding nitric acid until you get a bubbling or fizzing action from the mercury (avoid breathing the fumes!). The acid will dissolve the mercury as well as any trace silver. After a while, the fizzing stops and at the bottom of your cup is a bronze-colored metallic looking blob; it's GOLD! You can reclaim your dissolved mercury from the nitric acid by placing a flat copper bar or copper sheet into the acid and letting it sit overnight. The next day, the mercury will have come out of solution and attached itself to the copper and then you can scrape the mercury from the copper and put it back into your storage container.

Carefully pour off the remaining liquid and neutralize the acid with baking soda, a little at a time until you get no reaction from the acid and baking soda. Gently rinse the gold in the cup with fresh water, avoiding hard sprays that could wash the gold right out of the cup. Let it sit somewhere until it is all dried out. Now you can use whatever method you prefer to transfer your gold from the cup into your gold vials.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Melting and making a Doré button

When you think you have enough of that fine flour gold saved up and you want to pour a "button," the following procedure works well. You will need a briquette of charcoal, some borax, and a propane torch.

Carve out a small depression in a piece of charcoal just big enough to hold your gold. You can use a charcoal briquette if you first flatten the top and bottom of the briquette so it won't rock or wobble.

Put your fine gold in the depression.

Light your propane torch and play the flame over the gold. Gold has a fairly high melting point, so it may take a while. Continue with the flame until you have a bright red "bead."
WARNING! Some propane torches have a habit of flaring up a bit when you tip the flame end downwards. Be sure you have a low flame and that the propane bottle is at a lowered angle before placing the flame on the gold. A sudden flare-up at this point could blow your gold right out of the hole, so have it adjusted first.

Keeping the flame on the gold, add a pinch of borax to the gold, and turn up the heat slightly and carefully. As the gold gets hotter, it changes color to a bright greenish-orange as it nears it's melting point. All the fine particles of gold will melt together into a bright ball.

Remove the flame and let it cool down slowly on it's own. After it has cooled, you have your first Doré button and it will be nice and bright and shiny. Fine gold is more pure than larger gold and, because we used nitric acid earlier, we reduced some of the silver that was alloyed with the fine gold, making it even purer. This Doré button could run 95- to 98-percent pure, with traces of silver and copper.

Creating Nugget Jewelry

Creating nuggets to make jewelry is just one way to double and triple the value of your fine gold. You will need a Pyrerx glass measuring cup, stainless-steel tweezers, and some sulfuric or Muriatic (Hydrochloric) acid (you can purchase sulfuric acid at some prospecting stores or at pool-supply stores).

Fill your glass cup half full with sulfuric acid (see cautions above about using acids). After you melt your gold in the charcoal block as in step 4 above, quickly pick up the charcoal block and pour the melted gold button into the cup of acid. As it quickly cools, it will form interesting shapes. Each time you do this, it forms a different shape. You can make small ones for earrings, or larger ones for pendants, etc.

Remove the faux "nugget" with stainless steel tweezers and rinse it with tap water. If the texture is too "rough" looking, you can tumble your "nugget" in a tumbler with water and fine sand to smoothen out the edges and give it that more natural look.

Pour the acid back into it's container and rinse out your glass cup with water.
Note: Remember, a little home-made nugget is SOLID gold, not plated! To sell your gold as Doré buttons, it would need to be assayed first. To sell to a dealer, you could lose 12 percent or more of spot price. Making jewelry though, you can't do anything but triple the value of the gold! If you had a 1/4 ounce of gold, at 95 percent pure, it would be worth $95 at a spot price of, let's say, $400 per ounce. Now, subtract 12 percent buyer's fee and you end up with just $83.60. Taking that same 1/4 ounce of fine gold, creating a "nugget" out of it, and then making jewelry out of that, you could get $200 to $300 for it! Quite a difference!
One other note on black sands: Sometimes black sands carry values of gold that cannot be seen because of impurities or chemical bonding with a few other minerals, such as selenium and tellurium, which would have to be chemically broken down to reveal the gold. Silver is not silver-looking in nature, but rather a dark gray to black. Platinum has actually been dumped out because it wasn't seen. The best thing is to either take a well represented sample down for a fire assay, or do a chemical assay yourself. At the least, get a pestle and mortar (cast iron), crush a sample down to dust, and pan it out to see if there is any color there. But never toss away black sands unless you are sure it is void of ANYTHING of value. Actually, if you had a dozen 55 gallon drums of it, you could make a tidy sum of money!

so, what do you do with all of the Mercury contaminated black sand once you are done?

Do you realize what a public health hazard this is?

If you have left mercury in the black sands you are loseing money and Gold seeing its has attached its self to the gold. and if you think that there is any mercury in the black sands just run the nitric acid it will will absorb the mercury.

You now have a solution of extremely toxic Mercuric Nitrate.

This is way more dangerous than metallic Mercury.

Mercury is indestructible. All you are doing is putting into a very soluble and very toxic form.

So now what do you do with it?

reclaim your dissolved mercury from the nitric acid by placing a flat copper bar or copper sheet into the acid and letting it sit overnight.

then take a razor blade and scrape the mercury off the copper plate.
(keep this flat copper to use over and over again.)

now your back to your mercury.

DeadDOG said:
reclaim your dissolved mercury from the nitric acid by placing a flat copper bar or copper sheet into the acid and letting it sit overnight.

now your back to your mercury.

Now all you have is a piece of Copper contaminated with Mercury.

You have not changed a thing, just made the problem worse.

and if these guys catch up to you, they won't be happy.:

http://www.newmoa.org/

Arkansas Mercury Task Force
Arkansas Dept. of Environmental Quality

Remember kids guns kill people its not the people that pulled the trigger its the bad bad gun. no wait its the bad bad bullets.

would it make you feel better if they pushed you out a window.

i would rather teach someone the right way to use a gun then.
then let them find out on there own.

and for your information i'm not using mercury.
i also do not have any acid.

but i have panned mercury out of some streams. so i helped clean up the streams.

This guy will give you an idea of how to recover fine gold economicly using gravity methods. Remember, these blacksands have already been worked for their gold content.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdikUKNLCHY

An alternitive to this would be a raingutter sluice with something to give it a vibrating side to side motion.

The only other ways to get more gold is chemically or buy smelting blacksands. With smelting, you have to have the proper flux for the materials your working, otherwise, you wind up with a blob of slag with your gold trapped throughout it and have to start over again. Been there, done that.

I have access to Hg but choose not to use it because of the problems that would arise from a green "doo-gooder" who would cause a stink. If Hg is used properly, there are no problems. That's just it, most people are afaid of Hg, don't store or use it properly, therefore make huge mistakes.

Chuck

Hi, I'm a newbie to this Forum.

Mercury is not only dangerous, it also has its limitations. It fails >95% of gold but only for gold larger than 65 microns. Below that it performs badly, so badly that worldwide artisanal miners often now take the mercury-contaminated waste tailings and subject them to cyanide vat leach to recover large amounts of gold.

Trouble is, the cyanide also leaches the mercury, turning metallic mercury into much more dangerous ionic mercury that is highly mobile in water and easily absorbed by animals and people.

Steppegold
Mongolia

Steppe & Mike - You can run, but you can't hide!!

I'm new here too but I noticed about a dozen of the other "Regulars" from other major mining forums are here with us.

It has been my experience that the topic of mercury instantly polarizes most folks on these type forums - with absolutely no chance for reconcilation of positions.

There are those who have meticulously learned how to use mercury in a chemically controlled and safe way.

Those who only understand the bare bones basics of mercury's use (like Steppe's well intentioned informal miners) and use it, for whatever reason, in a substancially less-than-safe way. They endanger themselves and all others around them. They also provide sensationalist 'fodder' to the last group.

And the last group - those who run into the dark, waving their arms while loudly proclaiming to anyone who will listen that mercury will certainly wipe out all life on earth. They are a bit too selective in only spouting rhetoric from their contempories or those with 'special interests' in fearmongering in the name of "safety".

I use mercury safely and carefully and purely as a tool. I have learned how to safely use mercury from multiple, reliable sources over the years. I have had no problems using it and I also do not feel that I pose any, any danger to the enviroment from where the mercury came originally.

For those so timid as to not use anything which could possibly cause personal harm to themselves or others may I suggest that you reconsider having nothing to do with (and be sure to stay far away from):

gasoline,
propane,
automobiles (Sulphuric Acid in the battery and, of course, gasoline),
household electricity,
water over your head,
hazardous chemicals,
slippery places,
deep holes,
firearms,
sharp scissors,
prescription drugs,
airplanes
and all those other dangerous things we live with in our modern lives.

I believe that "The Sky is Falling" is the appropriate phrase for that kind of thinking.

So, learn how to properly use Mercury, only use it when it's appropriate, learn and use alternate techniques when you can and never, never take shortcuts with safety.

Go here and click on "Mercury" http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/ If you disagree with Prof Calvert -well- so be it.

JOE S (INDY)

Thank you both for the warm welcome.

Yes, I am a miner, primarily in Alaska May through October. I started mining in '66 at Arnie Erickson's Mine At Crow Creek, Alaska and I have bounced around the world panning from time to time until the late 90's when I settled on Alaskan mining.

I heard about this site quite by accident and I am very, very pleased with what I have seen so far. The plan now is to thoroughly study everything and to learn, learn, learn. I'll ask a silly question or two from time to time - but that's how we all learn.

As you have specifically mentioned this seems to be a prime source for refining information and that's really hard to come by.

Thank you again,

well im just getting into this a little latter than id like but, Mr Irons you have some credentials that indicate that your supposed to know about the safe handeling of Mercury. you keep saying your not doing this corectly.... i dont use mercury myself but if i did use it, how are we supposed to use it to get mecury off our gold? you should know how to do it saftly and correctly and legally. that group you indicated(newnoa) is only for the east coast. i imagine there are also other areas of the country that also have similar or the same outfit but do you have their address aswell?like i said, for the very small amount of gold that ill lose if i dont use some sort of gold grabbing stuff, i dont think its personnaly worth my time to use mercury! for someone else maybe it is....

If you have placer Gold that is containated with Mercury, it's probably better to send it to a refiner that has the proper equipment to retort the amalgam (Gold/Mercury) than trying to do it yourself. You won't get as much return on amalgam because of the extra cost in processing it, but you can sleep at night knowing that you didn't contaminate the environment.

You can assume that all placer Gold that is recovered where mining has been done in the 19th and early 20th Century will have some contamination. If it's badly contaminated, the Gold may even be a silver color.

It's always better to err on the safe side.

My Dad brought home mercury for us kids to play with when we were young, we use to coat coins with it, hell, i prob. have ingested a bit before, ahh childhood... my wife broke and ingested a mercury tip off a thermometer when she was young, ,,, liver damage? oh well, at lest we wont do the same with our kids....

If you haven't had some chealation done, you probably still have it in your system. Hair loss , sexual dysfunction, and certain types of seizures are common side affects.

markqf1

Unfortunately you are only working with fragments of information, carefully crafted by others to promote disinformation and fear mongering to the unknowing.

Should I assume you also campaign against any other dangerous "thing" in this big 'ole world? You know, sharp scissors, AR, all strong acids (oh, heck, any acid, --- you agree?).

Probably the place for folks who believe in the absolute horror of even saying the word 'mercury' - is, er - right next to Chicken Little.

Learn the way to use a dangerous thing and it becomes a tool. Fear it and you're the tool.

Joe

Latest posts

Back