How would you handle these cpu's?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldgeek

Does anyone here have experience they would like to share on processing this specific type of CPU?

CPU2.JPG
CPU1.JPG

I have read that some remove pins with a torch first, then AP, then nitric.

Some have just put them in straight HCL to remove the pins and solder, then move on to HCL + H202 to dissolve the base metal in the pins themselves (how well does AP work on korvar?)

How did you do it?

I have around 1000 grams of them I would like to process all at once.
Thanks in advance for you input.

Kovar is iron based, so some copper I chloride can form as powder, fresh HCl will help to dissolve it back into solution, the copper II chloride solution would also contain Iron chloride, not a problem unless heated strongly, and would not be the best solution to reuse.

I have done some in a process like your doing without any major problems.
As long as you treat the tin and lead as needed in cleanups.

I save the fiberglass cards and burn and then pulverize to separate fiber to leach any value, which may inside as fine wire; these are added to other scrap so I cannot say it is really worth the trouble.

butcher said:
Kovar is iron based, so some copper I chloride can form as powder, fresh HCl will help to dissolve it back into solution, the copper II chloride solution would also contain Iron chloride, not a problem unless heated strongly, and would not be the best solution to reuse.

I have done some in a process like your doing without any major problems.
As long as you treat the tin and lead as needed in cleanups.

I forgot to ask about yields? I assume not very good for this type.

butcher said:
I save the fiberglass cards and burn and then pulverize to separate fiber to leach any value, which may inside as fine wire; these are added to other scrap so I cannot say it is really worth the trouble.

I was not even considering this aspect. I will store them until I am able to incinerate, if I ever can.

Thanks

Hey Oldgeek how's it going,

Sam has a good post on fiber cpu's http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=9693

I hope it helps and good luck,
Chris

cnbarr said:
Hey Oldgeek how's it going,

Sam has a good post on fiber cpu's http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=9693

I hope it helps and good luck,
Chris

Yes, I have read that post several times. I may use that process, but I am not so sure i want to torch the pins off of 2 - 3 lbs of those processors. But now that i think about it, it's probably not much more trouble than trimming fingers from cards, and memory. :lol:

I guess it all depends on the expected yields, which i suspect are quite low?

I have torched the pins off of several of them. If you have a solid container to shake them off in, and have them all neatly in a pile before you start, it goes pretty quick! I usually just get the pins and throw the green fiber into a box. I'm not sure what I am going to do with that part yet. :|

incinerate. they have several layers of copper foil inside and some gold wires leading to the chip on the top. incinerate and wash with mild soapy water to remove ash and fibers and then toss in AP to remove the copper foil and what little tin is left, after that its hcl/cl for the wires.

Hello all , how are tricks ?
I hope all is well!
I'm not sure of exactly which paste it is , I'm assuming it's the grey type , but I've read that the heatsink paste on the backs of cpu's can contain some silver so I've been carefully wiping this off and saving the tissues in a baggy.
When I have enough and am able to process them I will , should be interesting at least!
Just a thought!
All the best for now and kind regards ,
Chris :mrgreen:

Thanks ALL for the suggestions.

Obviously there are several ways to "skin this cat" :lol:

Geo said:
incinerate. they have several layers of copper foil inside and some gold wires leading to the chip on the top. incinerate and wash with mild soapy water to remove ash and fibers and then toss in AP to remove the copper foil and what little tin is left, after that its hcl/cl for the wires.
I would like to go this route, but I can't incinerate around here, and I believe these would smoke a bit!

I will just have to think about it for a while, as i am not in any rush.

So, no one here has any yield data they wish to share? :shock: Just kidding! I don't blame anyone if they choose not to tell. 8)

Also, I had a major score (at least for me) Sunday. I ended up cleaning out the picked over leftovers from a "short lived" computer shop nearby. I filled my trailer and van up, mostly with laptops in various stages of disassembly, some older desktops, about 15lbs of older memory, and 150+ lbs of new but outdated cables and such. I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

oldgeek

You can use heat gun or any kind of rdiated heat to detach the pins.

50-60 cpu's should yield about a gram.

samuel-a said:
oldgeek

Thanks for the info Sam. Not quite as bad as i thought.

Geo said:
I know this is an old thread, just wanted to add that this type of chips with the die mounted upside down doesn't use any bond wires to connect the CPU to the copper wires in the small PCB.
All gold is limited to the pins and the flash plated solder pads for the surface mount components between the pins.

Göran

samuel-a said:
oldgeek

Sam,

Are sure about that yield 0.02 per CPU for a green fibre seems far too high. My yield was 0.041 - 0.005.

Best wishes,

g_axelsson said:
Geo said:
I know this is an old thread, just wanted to add that this type of chips with the die mounted upside down doesn't use any bond wires to connect the CPU to the copper wires in the small PCB.
All gold is limited to the pins and the flash plated solder pads for the surface mount components between the pins.

Göran

I agree pins only with this type of CPU. Sometimes a bit of AU braze under the copper lid also.

Best wishes,

Latest posts

Back