I did it... evaporated to hard crust...HELP!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liquidauction

Hello all!

So, I had about 6 gallons of silver/copper nitrate I was evaporating to a more manageable storage quantity. Anyway, a neighbor came to my shop and needed help urgently (he had been injured) and the one thing I forgot to do was turn off my crock of silver/copper nitrate. It went down to a HARD block about 3/4" thick. What can I do? I though I could just add nitric to it but wanted to ask first if anyone had a suggestion before I make it worse.

Thanks in advance!

I'd start by adding distilled water to bring your crust back to a liquid state, gentle heating would be advisable and if any solids remain add nitric slowly until all of them are in solution. I assume your then going to cement the silver back out so let it cool, filter it and add your copper sheet.

nickvc said:
I'd start by adding distilled water to bring your crust back to a liquid state, gentle heating would be advisable and if any solids remain add nitric slowly until all of them are in solution. I assume your then going to cement the silver back out so let it cool, filter it and add your copper sheet.

Thanks, I just added water and it came back. Reading Hokes book it made it seam like I would blow the place up or ruin my batch if I let is boil down to a crust. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back