I forgot to neutralize! , help me please

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone tell me what happens if you put a little of AR with everything that was in it in a AP batch, after the nitric is used up?

Can anyone tell me what happens if you put a little of AR with everything that was in it in a AP batch, after the nitric is used up?
I have never done it, so I’m blank.
But why would you do it in the first place?
It does not make sense to me at least.

At first I had a very tiny test solution of AR and fingers then I added some pins which contained a bit of steel, then I did a stannous test and was positive. I added pins until the solution did not dissolve the plating anymore. Perhaps it needed more nitric but I decided to put everything into the bigger AP batch. I want to learn how and why things do what they do. The tiny AR batch started as a need to test my stannous solution which I was not able to do previously. So the stannous test was highly positive.

At first I had a very tiny test solution of AR and fingers then I added some pins which contained a bit of steel, then I did a stannous test and was positive. I added pins until the solution did not dissolve the plating anymore. Perhaps it needed more nitric but I decided to put everything into the bigger AP batch. I want to learn how and why things do what they do. The tiny AR batch started as a need to test my stannous solution which I was not able to do previously. So the stannous test was highly positive.
If your AR is dissolving complete pins, most of your gold is already cemented out, unless they were completely dissolved.

You DO NOT use AR to reclaim gold.

Nitric, HCl or AP can be used and each has its pros and cons.

When ALL the base metals are dissolved you go to AR, HCl/Peroxide, HCl/bleach or similar.

To take out gold plating the Sulfuric stripping cell, Iodine-Iodide or Cyanide is used, never AR.

If your AR is dissolving complete pins, most of your gold is already cemented out, unless they were completely dissolved.

You DO NOT use AR to reclaim gold.

Nitric, HCl or AP can be used and each has its pros and cons.

When ALL the base metals are dissolved you go to AR, HCl/Peroxide, HCl/bleach or similar.

To take out gold plating the Sulfuric stripping cell, Iodine-Iodide or Cyanide is used, never AR.
Is that because pins have steel, zinc and metals which are higher on reactivity series and unless totally dissolved will cement out metals less reactive from the AR solution?

Latest posts

Back