I have a bunch of plated crap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akragon

What would everyone recommend using to recover it? I have HCL, peroxide... Sulfuric... And im going to pick up a DC power supply in the next couple days... I've seen lots of videos, and read Hoke's book in the past year or so... but i'd like to see what the members of this community would recommend

thanks in advance :)

What would everyone recommend using to recover it? I have HCL, peroxide... Sulfuric... And im going to pick up a DC power supply in the next couple days... I've seen lots of videos, and read Hoke's book in the past year or so... but i'd like to see what the members of this community would recommend

thanks in advance :)
As Butcher try to say to you, we have not been given any meaningful information so we can not give you a meaningful answer.

Judging from the introduction and the topic of your question looks like a toilet and a good book would be in order.
Lol not the recommendation i was looking for... but thanks anyways
As Butcher try to say to you, we have not been given any meaningful information so we can not give you a meaningful answer.
ah... well im talking a bunch of plated watches which i stripped the plated material from... a few rings.. ear rings... bracelets... all with super thin plated gold on them... i've heard AP would be a simple method... perhaps using an acid and cathodes. What would everyone recommend for a bunch of plated jewelery?

Lol not the recommendation i was looking for... but thanks anyways

ah... well im talking a bunch of plated watches which i stripped the plated material from... a few rings.. ear rings... bracelets... all with super thin plated gold on them... i've heard AP would be a simple method... perhaps using an acid and cathodes. What would everyone recommend for a bunch of plated jewelery?
The easiest is probably the method that is the most dangerous.
Cyanide, but not recommended for us ordinary people😏
The Sulphuric stripping cell is good for some materials but maybe not for all.
AP works but it is not very specific to the regions it attacks so one might end up dissolving all the base metals.
And it is best on Copper or Copper based base metals.

As has been pointed out plated jewellery can be a real pain to process especially if it is a range of different items plated onto different base metals , it is much easier if you have a volume of a particular item or with the same base metal substrates.
Even stripping with cyanide is not easy as once the base metals are exposed if the solution has too much free cyanide it will attack many base metals preferentially leaving many plated items hardly stripped , don’t ask me how I know this , the choice becomes between the time spent and or the final return , what is the most valuable.
For a beginner e scrap offers an easier way to learn the processes in general as the metals and alloys encountered tend to be very similar which makes separation easier with well documented processes.

Sulfuric acid stripping cell is what I would use. But there are certain nuances that you learn about after some trial and error. But it's what I use as long as it's not gold filled. The cell isn't that difficult. But if you only have a small amount then I would wait until you got a pound or kilo or more. Because as you said already that the plating of gold on that kind of material is very thin! 🤷 But that's just my opinion. And I'm far away from being a seasoned vet in the gold refining game.

Latest posts

Back