I Need The Best Bargain For Sulfuric Acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maynman1751 said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't used battery acid be full of lead?

when you evaporate the water from the electrolyte, the lead will precipitate as lead sulfite. its more dangerous than people let on. it has to be brought to a temperature that causes sulfuric acid vapors to be evolved. if you breathe these vapors, they will react with the moisture in your lungs and make sulfuric acid in your lungs. we all should know what sulfuric acid does to living tissue.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that lead dissolves in the electrolyte, no matter what strength it is.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/leadacid.html

ive emptied my fair share of auto batteries.all seemed to have a grey colored precipitate in the bottom of the cell. since im assuming the cathode and anode are made of lead, i cant imagine what else it could be.

Geo said:
ive emptied my fair share of auto batteries.all seemed to have a grey colored precipitate in the bottom of the cell. since im assuming the cathode and anode are made of lead, i cant imagine what else it could be.
It would likely be lead, lead sulfate, and/or lead oxide that has flaked off of the electrodes. The lead never stays in the solution as an ion.

GotTheBug said:
Also another product called Hot Power, drain cleaner over 90%.

Just a .02
Would the Hot Power need to be evaporated down to concentrate it more, or the 90% strength is the Sulfuric Acid?

Besides the cost of the drain cleaners, what other reason why I would want to use them instead of the sulfuric acid?

Thanks for the info too. Sears seem to have the best price though. From the websites I looked at, they only sell it by the case (12 1qt bottles). One place wanted $101.88 + shipping and Sears sell the same for only $60.00.

On another note: I know that the sulfuric cell will turn black anyway once I start the de-plating , but the reason I want a clear acid to start with is so that I can see it change colors, instead of just watching the foaming action. And I want to film/document my progress and once I get better skilled at it, I may decide to go with a dark acid and save money at the same time.

I've been so busy and I'm now up to approximately 5 lbs of clean pins, ready to be deplated. I know I could use Nitric (I have some), but I rather strip the gold off of them and give the scrap metals to the person that brings me computers and keyboards all the time.

And my special thanks to all of you that have given me some great advise here on this forum.

Kevin

One final question on this for me (I hope so)..... but, is $24.99 + $10.76 shipping worth it for (2) 950 ml (2 qts) of the Sulfuric Acid?

Thanks again for all the info.

Kevin

Where I am, 1 qt at the hardware store is right between $9-$10 each for 98%. Of course the larger the bottle gets, the cheaper it can get. I've noticed some Wal-Mart's have even started carrying it. Keep an eye out for the bottles in an enclosed bag.

acpeacemaker said:
Where I am, 1 qt at the hardware store is right between $9-$10 each for 98%. Of course the larger the bottle gets, the cheaper it can get. I've noticed some Wal-Mart's have even started carrying it. Keep an eye out for the bottles in an enclosed bag.
Are you talking about straight Sulfuric Acid? at WalMart

I know, I asked another question :oops:

Kevin

Lol, yeah. Not every Wally World though. If I remember right the ones I saw were smaller than a quart and ran $5-$6 range. They have a black label and are bagged.

Andrew

I have a one just 5 minutes from me and another about 15 minutes from me. I did a search on Walmarts website for sulfuric acid, but all I get is drain cleaner. I'll keep searching though. Good to know. Worse come to worst, I'll just order the sulfuric acid online (2 qts) and pay the $34 total. I'd hate to do it, but I wouldn't want to be looking for sulfuric acid for a longer time than needed.

Kevin

acpeacemaker said:
http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix...Buffered-Sulfuric-Acid-Drain-Cleaner/17133944

This is sulfuric, but I'm not sure how well it does. Drain cleaners can be sulfuric. Some are sodium hydroxide, and some are crap you don't want. Most of the time it will be under a brand name as a drain cleaner, not just labeled as sulfuric.

Andrew

when the name of the product has buffered in it, it has a buffering agent to keep it from dissolving metal. this may or may not interfere with its ability to strip the gold.

Thanks to all of you that have helped me out with the decision on purchasing some Sulfuric Acid. I decided to go with the 98% sulfuric on eBay, (2) 950 ml bottles with shipping was $35.00. I estimate by the 15th it should be here.

I guess my main joy of doing this is to actually see the acid turn from clear to black. The excitement wasn't there for me with anything else that is already black/dark in color. I just want to see the magic happen.

Kevin

I know this is an old post but I was doing some research after having foaming problems with Liquid Lightning in my cell. I came across a few different brands online of Sulfuric Acid. If anyone has experience with any of these, please chime in. Here is a short list of what I've found so far:

1. Name - Zep-Flo Drain Solvent. MSDS sheet says > %90 Sulfuric Acid. Specific Gravity = 1.83. I've bought Zep Hydrochloric Acid Toilet Bowl Cleaner at Home Depot but didn't use it since it was blue in color. I haven't looked to see if they have this Zep product. I haven't tried to order through Zepcommercial.com yet so they may require you to be a business.

2. Name - Tempered Sulfuric Acid Drain Opener. MSDS sheet says %86. Specific Gravity = 1.775. Again, not sure if you have to be a business to acquire this stuff but Venus Labs in Huntington Beach, CA has it, and BioChem Inc. in Salt Lake City, UT
@cleaners-degreasers.com. The best thing about this one is, they describe it as the safest Sulfuric Acid based cleaner out of any. If you accidentally get some on you, you have about a minute to apply water where as most other Sulfuric Acid based drain cleaners instantly start burning your skin. But it is tempered, inhibited, and black in color. :|

3. Name - Zep Professional Sulfuric Acid Drain Opener. MSDS sheet says %60-100 by weight. SG = 1.836. Same situation as Zep-Flo above. You may have to be a business to purchase through Zepcommercial.com.

4. Name - Drain Power. MSDS sheet doesn't give percent by weight but with an SG of 1.84, it's over %90. Manufactured by Alliance in Manufacturing, LLC. St. Louis, Missouri. @ aim-alliance.com. This one looks like you'll definitely need to own a business to purchase this stuff, if you visit that website, but....Walmart.com shows one called Drain Power Professional Strength Drain Opener. I'll have to look into this. They don't give an MSDS for the brand Walmart sells.

5. Name - Kleen-Out. Available at Menards. %93 virgin Sulfuric Acid Drain Opener according to the description on Menards website but no MSDS to verify. 32oz bottle ~~ $6.98. Unfortunately for me, there are no Menards here in WV.

6. Name - Busters Sulfuric Acid Drain Opener. MSDS sheet %93. SG = 1.83 Red Translucent Liquid. @hdsupplysolutions.com has 32oz case of 12 for $59.99 with Free Shipping to the lower 48. This appears to be a great deal, if you're not required to be a business to do business with them.

7. Name - Clean Shot Sulfuric Acid Drain Opener manufactured by TheoChem. Available at Lowes. %93 inhibited virgin sulfuric acid. No MSDS found. Online price shows 32oz @ $9.98.

I may give the Clean Shot a try. I just hope it doesn't have a foaming problem like Liquid Fire or Liquid Lightning.

jimdoc said:
Look for Rooto.
http://www.retrowork.com/images/rooto/professionaldrainopener.html

Jim

Where can you find Rooto like that locally without having to pay shipping? Looking at Amazon, we're talking over $50 a gallon at the cheapest.

I get it at smaller hardware stores like Ace or True Value. They will probably order it for you also, unlike Lowe's or Home Depot that couldn't be bothered to do that for you.

Jim

Latest posts

Back