I think i messed up my AR with urea, please help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan06rx8

I tried searching and couldn't find much. I have about 50mls of aqua Regina full of gold that's has now crystalized. I had it on a hot plate and was adding Urea little by little until the granules floated. Once the solution cooled it turned partly crystalized throughout. Now I have no idea what I need to do to be able to precipitate the gold out. This was my first time trying to do this. Please help me :|

I had a similar issue... Do you have pictures? I used urea to neutralize the acid and smb to drop the gold out of solution... Instead it just looks like the urea and smb dropped to the bottom of the jar... It crystalized so I read that adding distilled water to dilute it could help... I did, crystals went away but still have the powder... Mine still tests positive for gold with stannous chloride. Have you tested yours? I am assuming the pH is off but the other guys around here are a lot more knowledgeable. I'm sure they'll reach out.

Attachments

• IMG_20170902_150626.jpg
    IMG_20170902_150626.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20170902_150607.jpg
    IMG_20170902_150607.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 131
Heat your solution and add water and a little hack, this should dissolve most of the crystals, filter when cool and precipitate your gold.

nickvc said:
Heat your solution and add water and a little hack, this should dissolve most of the crystals, filter when cool and precipitate your gold.
I think you meant a little HCl, not hack. :D

As Nick said, sometimes you need to add a bit more HCl to get stuff dissolving, there are some salts that is easier to dissolve in HCl than water. For example the picture ImTechMan posted is deep green, pointing to being saturated with CuCl2. I suspect there are some CuCl too and that is almost insoluble in water but easily soluble in HCl. CuCl forms a white precipitate in water, the reason it looks green is the CuCl2.
This is the result of throwing a lot of base metals in aqua regia (check your spelling, alan06rx8, it is not spelled aqua regina).

Göran

OK and thank you all, this sounds like an easy fix. I have been sitting on this solution for about 4 months trying to figure it out. Yes it auto corrected to the wrong spelling.

Latest posts

Back