I was thinking about buying from this guy again

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dervishh

The last auction I won from him he threw in a bunch of extras, but based on what he's selling would this be an OK buy, If no other bidders jack the price up?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Go...p4429486.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0That being said, does anyone know of anywhere else I can get scrap to process? I'm just getting my feet wer, so ebay is literally my only option at this point
Scrapyards, yard sales, auctions, eBay (often expensive), decomissioned equipment from various facilities... Also, having some insiders in businesses/trades help a lot (eg people who regularly work in some industry or trade and have access to decomissioned e-scrap bin - for them it is just trash, for you treasure). Best case scenario for small scale refiner here in the middle of the EU is to have good connections to few scrapyard owners or places where broken electronic devices are collected as hazardous waste :) And advertise yourself on public advertisment sites used for selling second-hand goods. That you buy old computer stuff, specific electronic components, older boards, sterling, carat, breakers, switches etc...

Then, there comes tough part to deal with crooked people and people with unrealistic expectations. Been there done that for solid several years. Find guys with regular supply of material and stick with them, there need not to be many of them, just enough for you to process - as if you will say no few times to them, it can deter them from another business with you in the future. It can spiral from 100g of pins a week to 100 kg offered the next month, be prepared that this is also an option.

You must be creative and flexible.

For the material itself...I would say you might recover a 0.5 gram. What is the other stuff he's throwing in?

As far as getting other material:
Yard/garage sales.
Craigslist "free" pick ups.
Dumpster roll off companies may sell you the ewaste they pick out of their dumpsters.
Junk haul away/scrapper people you can find on craigslist. Offer them more than the scrapyard will.
........and many other options.

I used to advertise to buy e-waste, not any more. I constantly got calls about someone wanting to recycle a single microwave or an old school TV and virtually every piece of worthless junk under the sun. I got tired of answering those emails. Working a full-time job kind of limits me anyway.....so I quit advertising.

people with unrealistic expectations.

Ahh, yes.... the "But it's old and antique" or "But my favorite (fill in family member) gave it to me" line that you get at yard/garage sales. Old doesn't always mean a high price and "sentimental value" doesn't fit well in a beaker.

and...

Them: But..it still works.
Me: Not when I get done with it.....:)

Latest posts

Back