idiot guide

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickydonk

hi guys, really struggling and confusing myself reading all the threads on forum. so I ask could someone write down in idiot form. the whole process for recovering gold from ic chips/ flat packs. I think ive got the incineration process right and removing metal pins. then it goes wrong. please could you use chemical ful names and chemicals available to buy in the uk and Ireland. as a lot of youtube videos use American products

thanks

For a beginner, that is some difficult material to process. Most start with fingers or the like using AP.
As far as a "refining for dummies" downloading the book "refining precious metals..." by CM Hoke, is about the closest thing you will find.

This field of study is immense... And impossible to put into a for dummies book. But, the book I have recommended is about as good as it gets. It is written for the layman, to understand the principles behind recovery and refining gold and other precious metals.

The thread by Patnor, is a VERY very helpful.

Last year you could have ordered every thing on line.
Now you have to contact the home office and ask for a license.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/licensing-for-home-users-of-explosives-precursors/licensing-for-home-users-of-poisons-and-explosive-precursors

Topher_osAUrus said:
For a beginner, that is some difficult material to process. Most start with fingers or the like using AP.
As far as a "refining for dummies" downloading the book "refining precious metals..." by CM Hoke, is about the closest thing you will find.

This field of study is immense... And impossible to put into a for dummies book. But, the book I have recommended is about as good as it gets. It is written for the layman, to understand the principles behind recovery and refining gold and other precious metals.

The thread by Patnor, is a VERY very helpful.

I've been processing fingers,pins and recovering gold from old crockery. But I've a pile of chips waiting to be done so it time I took the next Step

an interesting issue.
The forum guide says that no one should facilitate criminal activity.
The U.K. government have instigated control legislation directly concerning all our precursors.
Is it acceptable to help individuals manufacture precursors in country's where manufacturing is a criminal offense?

in the link they use nitric acid is there an alternative to this as cant buy small amounts in Ireland
thanks

justinhcase said:
an interesting issue.
The U.K. government have instigated control legislation directly concerning all our precursors.
Is it acceptable to help individuals manufacture precursors in country's where manufacturing is a criminal offense?

That is a very good point/inquiry.

A very fine line that is being walked upon.

But, as a matter of rebuttal.
-how are we, the helpers, to know if those in the U.K. have done their due diligence and got their appropriate licencing?
(self rebuttal)
-if they had their licenses, most likely they would need no work around, and would get the actual chemicals.

But, is this an acceptable place to refer to Hanlon's razor?
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity," or "Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding."

I think this is a very good point you have brought up. And I believe it is worthy of its own thread.
Edit to fix spelling

Topher_osAUrus said:
justinhcase said:
an interesting issue.

That is a very good point/inquiry.

A very fine line that is being walked upon.

But, as a matter of rebuttal.
-how are we, the helpers, to know if those in the U.K. have done their due diligence and got their appropriate licencing?
(self rebuttal)
-if they had their licenses, most likely they would need no work around, and would get the actual chemicals.

But, is this an acceptable place to refer to Hanlon's razor?
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity," or "Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding."

I think this is a very good point you have brought up. And I believe it is worthy of its own thread.
Edit to fix spelling
I think the point is for refiners to help each other.
To stay safe and stay legal.
Even if some process would land an individual in hot water.there are 101 process that would be fine.
May be they would have to focus there time on finding material and producing concentrates for a running lab to finish.
But that may well be the best use of there time.
Any one can refine if given the right precursors,the trick is to have the most efficient process for your environment and limitations.Unfortunately the U.K. is run by extremity efficient civil servants,they have made it very easy for any one who should have chemicals to get them.so if you can not easily find supply's you can take it as read you should not have them in the eyes of the law.
Ireland has an even bigger problem than the U.K. even air pistols are prohibited.
The control of precursors is absolute and even information concerning there production come's under the prevention of terrorism.
Sadly I did pop back to Ireland to visit my old family farm about eight years ago.
It is a place called Parslickstown House in Mulhuddart.It was compulsory purchased by the government and we where evicted some thirty five years ago.
So my child hood memory's are of fields and a stream with several ponies. Back then ponies where the norm not bike's.
Fast forward to my visit,I found my old home nestled in between several housing estates and a main road going right up where our drive use to be.It is now a drug and community out reach center.
The bus driver was very concerned for my safety I was given stern warnings to watch my self as the local youth had the hobby of setting off pipe bomb's.
I will not mention any affiliations but I think it wise to stay very clear of that particular kettle of worm's.
The state on the ground is far more volatile in Ireland that is reported in the media.
And if even an air pistol is considered to offensive for possession precursors will defiantly get you in hot water.

Latest posts

Back