I'm colour blind need help (pink)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferrous

So I have been trying small batch's 50grams of various pins
To see how the reaction works and what takes place .
Here's what I did 50 grams of pins heated with torch till red hot
Boiled in hcl to remove solder /tin. Re incinerated and rinsed in hot water 3x
Than removed base metals with nitric (first time)
No reaction when nitric was added , ran it threw a filter to collect my foils
But I have a precipitate that I believe is pink mixed with my foils can someone please confirm
But please don't tell me what it is I would like to do my own research
I collected foils and pink stuff and put it in test tube with water

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB
spaceships said:
Ive got to ask ferrous- why are you heating and incinerating pins?

Oil on pins? I just ran into a problem getting some I.C. legs to react to acid so I incinerated them and that fixed the problem.

First time maybe at a stretch but the second?

We're not talking about taking out silver here.

No worries Dave, I think we were looking at it from different angles Sir.

Jon

Just a guess:

Colloidal gold? You brought the the pins to red hot twice. At that heat, maybe some copper migrated to the surface, nickel barrier or not. If that were true, when the copper dissolved, some of the gold would likely be colloidal.

After the pins cooled, were they bright and shiny or were they dark? If dark, that could have been copper.

goldsilverpro said:
Just a guess:

Colloidal gold? You brought the the pins to red hot twice. At that heat, maybe some copper migrated to the surface, nickel barrier or not. If that were true, when the copper dissolved, some of the gold would likely be colloidal.

After the pins cooled, were they bright and shiny or were they dark? If dark, that could have been copper.

they where dark i will test tomorrow for colloidal gold , taking a small sample using hcl/clorox than test with stannous.
re reading hoke's book still have a lot to learn

i opened your photo in photoshop, sampled the colour and this is what i see.

Untitled-1.jpg

in RGB mode its 152 73 66
in HEX mode its 984942
CMYK mode its 0 52 57 40

spaceships said:
No worries Dave, I think we were looking at it from different angles Sir.

Jon

Jon - not sure what angle you are looking at it from - BUT - I see you have been a member here for about 2 years - therefore I will assume you have read Hokes - she speaks often of the importance of incineration & she explains in detail the how - when & why of incineration

Also the importance of incineration (which translates to the how - when & why) has been discussed on this forum many - many - many times

I am sorry if I sound a bit rude here (that is not my intent) I just don't get how &/or why anyone that has done the research to do this &/or has been doing it for any length of time thinks this step in the process is not important & can be skipped

Incineration - at different stages &/or times in the process is not just a suggested step (meaning a step that can be skipped) it is an instructed step (meaning it needs to be done at that point in the process for good reason)

You may experience a degree of success by skipping this step (meaning melting a gold button at the end of your work) but skipping it can/will lead to problems which can/will lead to some value loss &/or can/will effect final product quality/purity

The importance of how - when - & why to incinerate was one of the first things I learned & came to understand when I joined this forum 3 years ago & putting it into practice has made a noticeable difference in the degree of my success --- it resolved problems - it increased value recovery - & it improved final product quality

Incineration improved my refining experience to the point I don't even consider skipping it - it's just the next step in the process of the ending goal

Kurt

I wouldn't worry about it Kurt, it was more a case of far too much port last night and not being able to see straight let alone think straight.

I don't profess to know everything about every process and one thing I have noticed in my time here is that everyone has slightly differing opinions on many processes and the steps within them. There are other ways to remove any residual HCl as opposed to incinerating so there was some validity to my question.

However thank you for your kind words they are very much appreciated.

Jon

spaceships said:
I wouldn't worry about it Kurt, it was more a case of far too much port last night and not being able to see straight let alone think straight.

I don't profess to know everything about every process and one thing I have noticed in my time here is that everyone has slightly differing opinions on many processes and the steps within them. There are other ways to remove any residual HCl as opposed to incinerating so there was some validity to my question.

However thank you for your kind words they are very much appreciated.

Jon

Yes I agree - there is more then one way to go about recovering &/or refining & with differing opinions of the how to & they pretty much all work to some degree of success --- some methods are better then others - some methods are equal to others - & some are not as good as other

And thank you for taking my post as an expressed opinion - rather then my saying you are wrong (it was just my opinion based on my experience)

quote; There are other ways to remove any residual HCl as opposed to incinerating ;end quote ---- I would be interested in hearing more about this (as I am always open to learning something new) --- PH adjustment maybe :?:

Kurt

A great mentor of this forum has been a proponent of incineration from the first day that I joined. The advantages of incineration between and prior to certain processes can not be ignored if you want to be successful. Incineration effects recovery yields in a particular way. It helps remove troublesome materials along with residual acids and certain chemicals. It helps convert oxides, chlorides, nitrates and sulfides so that the metals can be effected by the appropriate acids. When done correctly,it converts carbons to carbon dioxide. There are the correct and useful ways to incinerate as well as the incorrect and harmful ways to incinerate. Read Hoke's and learn how and when to incinerate (without the splash of gasoline of coarse).

Instead of trying to figure out what it looks like, digest a small sample and test it with stannous chloride. Dry a small sample and grind as fine as you can and sprinkle a small pinch onto an open flame. There are a couple other test to determine what the material is. The point im trying to make is, instead of all of us debating what it could be and why, we should be providing the instructions that ferrous can use to figure out what it is (he has the material) and tell all of us what it is.

spaceships said:
The lesson can be hard to learn, but it will be learned, at least by those who achieve success.

Incineration isn't a luxury--it's very much a part of refining, in particular, wastes from the jeweler's bench. I can't even begin to imagine the mess one would create by processing oil laden objects, even if the oil is just body oil from handling.

In regards to the "other ways" to which you make reference, why screw with something that's known to work properly, and yields the exact results one hopes to achieve? I'm all for progress, but circumventing a process that yields excellent results isn't what I call progress--it's what I call being bull headed.

You, along with many others here, would do well to listen to the wisdom you have just been given by kurtak.

Harold

Latest posts

Back