I'm done lurking! :P

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodthrower18

I've been lurking for just about a month, reading and observing as much as possible whenever possible. This site is a ridiculously great source for folks like myself. I've had an interest in precious metals since I was a child (i was a nerd so sue me) and remember thinking how great it would be if I could get my hands on some gold for the future ( spot was ~$400 then). Eventually I went as far as to build a couple of coffee can furnaces for fun and melted some aluminum cans for giggles as a teenager.

Fast forward about 10yrs and now i've got a house and family of my own to look after and provide for. I have no delusions of getting "rich" quick, however I do plan to bring in a supplemental income and begin a small emergency nest egg for the family with the knowledge and skills that I gain from the generous folks here. I have started reading and rereading Hoke in my spare time (the wife checked my temp when I told her i was reading for leisure vs firing up my now defunct XBOX).

I'm starting this journey with silver as I have found quite a few pieces of weighted sterling that I plan to refine and sell off for seed money so that I may buy Karat gold to hoarde and refine (this already feels like a viciously addictive cycle). I will also begin to process keyboard mylars with the same end in mind in the coming weeks. ANY advice or pointers you guys ave are ALWAYS welcome both publicly and via PM. I am a sponge looking to take in as much as I can.

P.S. I REALLY aspire to pour some silver ingots like kadriver's ...just gorgeous!!

edit: broken into chunks for readability

Welcome fellow lurker. 8)
Sounds like your at the right place and seem to have a first goal set.
I'm unable to assist you at this point in my learning process but just wanted to say Welcome and don't get discuraged in your ventures.
Here you will find the information to get those SILVER BARS your wanting, The easiest way to search I have found is with the search engine located on Lazersteves website, just use the link in his signature line to open it and your on your way.
Good luck and can't wait to see the first bar. :p
Tom C

Your sterling may bring you more money when sold as sterling as refining will cost something and you only get that from 92.5 to 99.
Maybe you can start with collecting silver from electrical appliances or old silver coins and refine these.

Well i've got a little over 250g of silver torn off of old candlestick holders that I bought from second hand stores for next to nothing. So I could still melt it up and sell it as sterling ingots ? If it will still sell i'm game just to get a little cash flow going to pay for supplies and more feed stock down the line. I also have a decent line on e-scrap that I am cultivating at the moment, hopefully it will prove fairly fruitful. I definitely do see the logic of what you are saying from a beginners standpoint. At what point will refining the silver be a profitable venture? I have SOME karat gold but its a very miniscule amount so I wont be doing any inquarting anytime soon. Thanks for the advice, keep it coming everyone !!

Yes you can! I did it because I needed the cash, too.
Use a fair amount of borax & stir w/hard graphite rod & the ingots will look nice!

Phil

Attachments

• may'11 002.JPG
    may'11 002.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 144
That changes situation. I tought your sterling is rather in form of some hallmarked items. If it is just in sheet form torn from candlesticks (I have about 20g somewhere from 2 candlestick holders) holders and in considerable quantity, then it is probably the best to melt that, have it assayed or tested and then you can sell that - well you may try to sell that on ebay as it is. It is sterling and if you can find some pieces with hallmarks on it will help too.

If you try melting it, but it doesn't want to melt, then you may have plated stuff. Sterling will melt fairly easy with a propane torch. And like Pat stated, check for a hallmark, that will give a clue if its sterling or plated or even nickle silver.

Back