Incinerated IC's in AR?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massiwe

Hello everybody, I'm Peter from Holland.
I run small recycle lab and most of processes described here are working good :)
But I'm wondering about incinerated IC's ashes. I searched the forum but no one comes with such idea:
I'm expecting panning the ashes with water is saddled with losses, the question is how much gold is lost?
And how much gold will be lost if I tread my ashes with AR? Filtering is bad option, but decanting?
Let's say 20% of becker fill with the ashes and the rest with AR solution. Stirred, settled down, ashes will keep 20% of solution volume.
So I could say 80% of gold can be decanted. And then refill becker with HCl stirr and let it settle and decant again.
The bad side of this idea is huge volume of solution, which can be later evaporate.
I'm interested in your opinion. Is this worth to try?

Best regards, Peter

If you try it you need to incinerate the IC:s until there is no carbon left. Carbon absorbs gold in solution so in theory your 20% ashes could have all the gold even in AR.

I haven't done any experiments to see how much gold could be held back so this is just a speculation from my part.
In mining industry gold from weak solutions is absorbed on carbon for further processing, it's called CIP or Carbon In Pulp.

When panning it isn't as important to get rid of all the carbon as the gold never gets into solution with the ashes. But there could be other losses, especially if you grind the chips too hard or have a bad panning technique.

Göran

Panning is much easier learned and done in full sunlight. Then you will see the bondwires soon and see how they behave. If you aren't sure, you can run a little test on a sample of the remaining ashes by complete incineration and AR, but you will most likely not find any detectable gold left.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=11827&hilit=smb+selective&start=20

Make sure you test for Pd as well.

OK I agree with carbon.
But... I do incineration in electric oven under 600 degrees, not use barbecue tools.
Is there so much carbon in chips? The ashes are light grey, not grinded, milled etc. good sifted, pins removed with magnet.
I'm using shaker pot method from Butcher movies, where everything what is not fall in ashes itself, goes back to the oven.

If you run recycling company and have steady supply of material then perhaps you can think about investing in shaker table.

Latest posts

Back