Increase alkalinity of aquaregia by adding ammonia solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a.campagnaro

Hello everyone,
My name is Antonio and I'm currently working with aquaregia in order to purify and recovery gold.
I have a problem: I want to increase the alkalinity of aquaregia solution without precipitation of gold (this is due to an experiment: I want to reach the gold point of zero charge). I have thought to add some ammonia solution in order to increase the PH of aquaregia solution from a value of 1.3 (I have already neutralized nitric acid) to a value of 3 or 3,5.
Does anybody have already tried this thing? What could it happen to an aquaregia solution when adding ammonia solution?
Thanks

Ammonium solutions with gold or silver and other metals can form dangerous compounds which can form thermal or shock sensitive explosive compounds.

When you say you neutralize nitric acid how was this done?
Urea can also form ammonium compounds, this and other problems it is not recommended.

The chemistry of the metals can easily become dangerous.

Maybe if you give a better description of what you have done and what you are trying to do, someone here can help you better.

Unless I am misunderstanding something:
When you say you wish to reach the gold point of zero charge, by neutralizing the gold in solution without precipitating the gold in solution,this makes little sense to me, this would be elemental gold, and would precipitate, unless it was a colloidal solution, which would become a problem for recovery.

Have you read Hokes book?
Give us more details.

Latest posts

Back