Indium in LCD screens

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axl_Bundy

Can anyone tell me what the indium looks like in LCD screens?
I tried doing research but couldn't come to a definite answer.
I think it has to do with a "layer" of one of the screens but not sure which one.

Pics would be very helpful.

Thanks for any help.
Ian

I wondered sometimes,too, about the indium in lcd's. So, now I looked on two pages in wikipedia (LCD and indium-tin-oxide). A blend of 10% tin oxide and 90% indium oxide (In2O3) builds a 200 nm thick electrode layer on one of the glasses. That's 0,2 micrometer! 0,002 cm3 of that blend per squaremeter. Somewhat disappointing!
Can anyone tell me what the indium looks like in LCD screens?

It looks like nothing, since it is the meaning of it all, that it has to be translucent.

Ok, but which layer contains the indium?

1. The actual glass. Fairly thick and heavy.

2. White plastic sheet. Looks like just a thin plain white plastic sheet.

3. White plastic. It's thick and looks like a piece of plexi glass.

4. Light grey plastic sheet. It's thin but has a grey look to it. (this would be my guess but want it confirmed)

What should it be good for, if you need 70 m2 lcd screens = about 140 big tv screens to gather 1 g of indium-tin-oxide?

If you are looking for indium, check the pinless CPU:s with soldered heat spreader.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
If you are looking for indium, check the pinless CPU:s with soldered heat spreader.

Göran

Can you tell a bit more on that?

As for the LCDs: I would not believe all about the amount of indium in LCDs that is written on the internet. As with many electronic components, there is no reliable data. Yield can vary a lot depending on many parameters.
The recovery though is profitable and it is done by very few and mostly some small specialialized companies here in germany.
Indium has a low melting point of about 160°C which makes it easy to extract it from the mixed compounds. The process that I have seen used a - at least to me- unknown liquid (maybe oil or water with an additive). Then the opened glasses from solar panels or LCD panels were put into this hot liquid. Indium collects on the bottom of the vessel over time.

There is a thread about the solder in P4 pinless processors. I don't have a link to it but a search should get you there.

About indium on screens, it is in a form called ITO = Indium-Tin Oxide. It will not melt at 160 degrees. What the liquid is they use I don't know, maybe something that lets the ITO loose from the surface and sink to the bottom.

Göran

solar_plasma said:
What should it be good for, if you need 70 m2 lcd screens = about 140 big tv screens to gather 1 g of indium-tin-oxide?

Found this in research:

Table 2 The chemical composition of the spent ITO target powder
obtained from leaching
ITO powder

(Edited table with bad formatting and attached pdf with table)

If my math is right that's about 2 grams of Indium per 300 grams of pulverized LCD screen?

Attachments

• a-sustainable-approach-to-separate-and-recover-indium-and-tin-from-spent-indium-tin-oxide-targ...pdf
    559.7 KB · Views: 39
Thanks - I am testing the process and actually doing all kinds of stuff to see if there is something easier because watching some of this in real life is just amazing to see!

https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=28287

Back