Ink Cartridres process without seeking profit

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zumka

Dear masters;

i dont have experience but i watched and read 100s of hours about gold refining (Well, as you can guess the boredom during these quarantine days). And i decided to try at least one experience. My friend has a toner refill shop. i took around 230 used ink cartridges and peeled them off all ready to process.

I'm gonna do that not for benefit, just for a one time hobby/experience. That's why i don't care how much the chemicals cost. All i want is a fast, without fire/heat machine, max amound of gold, less risky for health (I'll have all the precautions but anyway), and minimum %90 of pure gold in the final dust.

But eeeevery one has a different opinion and also not many information about "ink cartridges gold refining". Today i made a test with a few of ribbons. Because i wasn't sure if the chemicals can reach to the metals inside through the both side plastic cover (don't know the name of the material, sorry). So i put two ribbons into a glass and add sulfuric acid as someone said it can dissolve the plastic. it didn't. then i tried with another two ribbons as this time adding directly AR. (Hcl %33 and nitric asid %56) (5/1). And after a couple of hours, i saw that liquid turned into greenish yellow and all the squared gold dots are gone/dissolved.

i think it's good so far. (if not, please inform me). But i know that there is also a big amound of copper dissolved. So what can i do after that? Just filter and add smb? (some puts urea some not). Any middle process? Or some other idea about from the beginning till the end? As i mentioned, as long as the process & result are as i want, no problem about the access to any chemicals.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Attachments

• qq.jpg
    qq.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 141
Our house has a huge garden by the way, no problem about ventilation. i dont want you to think that i'm gonna do this in my room because of the quarantine and worry about me ^_^ i just dont wanna boil something during process. thank you.

Urea (10%) will consume excess chlorine and NOx-s. Then SMB is added gradually to avoid CuCl precipitation (when SO2 smell strenghtens)

Lino1406 said:
Urea (10%) will consume excess chlorine and NOx-s. Then SMB is added gradually to avoid CuCl precipitation (when SO2 smell strenghtens)

i will try that, sir. thank you

Latest posts

Back