Inquartation calculator

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harold_V said:
I'm a little surprised at the resulting color of your solution (although I suspect the picture, above, is not from this lot of refining)----which should have a green tint, assuming you didn't do the preliminary nitric process. Is there something I missed? That was my concern at the outset--that you talked about melting, shotting and going straight to AR.

Harold

Harold,

mlgdave is starting with 80-85% pure gold and inqurted it with pure gold in order to make the base metal content 9% instead of 15%. Thanks to my miscalculation :oops: he added way more Au than necessary so going to AR worked quite well. He said Pt may have been present in the scrap so a copper pipe or buss bar is in order.

Just a thought. Should all these spreadsheets be combined? This way there is an all in one calculator. I locked mine but can make all the formulas available. Just a thought.

Harold_V said:
mlgdave said:
Ok, now you have me scared, Hoke is where I got the idea to begin with (or so i think?) Page 135 she talks about if you have gold with silver up to 12% to melt UP with another metal to get silver to less than 10%.........I did that, it digested in AR beautifully, its nice red color and I will treat with sulphuric to get rid of Pb and then dilute and precip............or do you still say I need to read Hoke?
<<chuckle!>>

Ok, I see where you're going with this one. There's two approaches, and inquartation tends to apply to the one I had in mind (quartering, or lowering gold content to 25%) by adding other metals, then digesting in nitric *before* dissolving the values. That's the procedure I used (always) and preferred, for more than one reason. One of the good ones is that you remove base metals as well as most platinum and palladium in the process, leaving behind primarily high quality gold with just traces of silver, copper, zinc and pt. metals (assuming they are present).

I'm a little surprised at the resulting color of your solution (although I suspect the picture, above, is not from this lot of refining)----which should have a green tint, assuming you didn't do the preliminary nitric process. Is there something I missed? That was my concern at the outset--that you talked about melting, shotting and going straight to AR.

Harold

hey Harold I did not do nitric digest and this wasnt karat scrap, this was fine placer gold #14 screen and smaller of a suspected puirty to be 85% or so. There is no green because there was likley very little copper, this gold was from arizona mostly

I melted it Up with pure AU to get the silver to less than 10%, I will be filtering and dropping today, the stuff I put in AR was likley about 95% Au and the rest silver and traces of CU and PT

mlgdave

I slowly came to realize that's what you'd done. It's not inquarting (quartering), which is what had me concerned, because I take the term literally.

I hope readers now understand what you did, and why. You did good!

Harold

dropped it this morning, letting it settle now so i can wash filter and melt! Will post results by 7pm tonight

mlgdave

I am going to pour my bar tomorrow, and keep you guys in suspense overnight. (im pretty presumptuous with this statement arent I?)
Poker night for me, wife went to a slumber party.

the beaker has just over 100 ml in a 1000ml beaker, i figure about 9.5 ounces or so............

mlgdave
ps.......I SHUDDER when i handle the pregnant AR, both hands, very careful and still just shudder when i move it

ok, the batch is done, i didnt know the purity of the placer but it returned 81% of its weight in AU. I have tested all solutions and they are negative for AU or PT, I do have some whitish grey sludge that I will read HOKE and see what to do with it. I know some will be Ag for sure and who knows what else. I have about 6 beakers of "sludge' i have to process now and about 40 ounces of silver in solution, i have most of it converted to AgCl now and will go to elemental today. Not sure if im going to use the lye method or sulphuric/aluminum.

123.jpg

but.jpg

I love my first button! 25.41 grams. The total batch is 9 OZT and change.

mlgdave

I have downloaded some of the programs for inquartation of metals from karat gold to 6K but I am looking for a formula to do this without a program and without a computer
If anyone has a formula I would like to have this.
1) one for reducing from karat gold to 6K
2) another one to find out the pure gold content of karat gold (example how much pure gold in 14K)
Thanks

BusinessMan said:
I have downloaded some of the programs for inquartation of metals from karat gold to 6K but I am looking for a formula to do this without a program and without a computer
If anyone has a formula I would like to have this.
1) one for reducing from karat gold to 6K
2) another one to find out the pure gold content of karat gold (example how much pure gold in 14K)
Thanks

There is not an all inclusive formula to calculate these figures because each karat will have a different percentage of metals. If you haven't downloaded this calculator use this one and you can figue out the percentages for each karat type and write down the formulas for you to use.

View attachment ArtsInQuartation.xls

mlgdave said:
ok, the batch is done, i didnt know the purity of the placer but it returned 81% of its weight in AU. I have tested all solutions and they are negative for AU or PT, I do have some whitish grey sludge that I will read HOKE and see what to do with it. I know some will be Ag for sure and who knows what else. I have about 6 beakers of "sludge' i have to process now and about 40 ounces of silver in solution, i have most of it converted to AgCl now and will go to elemental today. Not sure if im going to use the lye method or sulphuric/aluminum.

123.jpg

but.jpg

I love my first button! 25.41 grams. The total batch is 9 OZT and change.

mlgdave

Very nice looking lot of gold you have there Dave. :lol:

Barren has posted this
ArtsInQuartation.xls
(22 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Am I making a mistake or is there something wrong with this formula
I have entered
beggining gold bar weight 20
kt of gold 12
it says amount of AG to add is 20
---------------------------
This is from excell 4metals posted
grams 20
karat 12
AG required 30 grams

Why is Barrens ecell saying add 20 grams of silver
and 4metals is saying add 30 grams

Can someone fix this
thanks

classically the term inquart means to make in quarters. 20 grams of 12 karat gold will have 10 grams of gold in it, to inquart it classically, 1 part of gold to 3 parts silver it requires 30 grams.

Since the other 50% of the metal in the alloy is not gold, it can technically be added in the silver column (as it will usually part in nitric) and only require an additional 20 grams of silver.

Both will work with karat gold.

Latest posts

Back