Interesting Video.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotTheBug

I had read the bonding wires were gold, guess now we know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT1FStxAVz4

Is there any precious metal value to the packages with the silver colored wires?
Some of them appear to have Gold solder but white bonding wires.

The gold pads are, well, gold. the silver looking pads are usually an alloy of silver and palladium.

All will have some type if metal pad under the silicon die.Look closely at the chips that look black and you will see the silver pad extending past the die. The technology allowed the use of less metal in production later on. If you follow some of the chip forums, some worked better than others. Usually the beefier chips are more sought after for high quality equipment where the less expensive chips went into consumer grade goods. This isn't a rule but it is the trend. Companies have to watch their bottom line and a few cents per part multiplied by millions or billions can cut into profits. Sub standard chips can find their way into a lot of different things. There is no guaranty the the same two electric devices will have the same electronic parts.

Great video. Must be nice to have a CNC machine in your basement.

On another note, your method would most likely be way too slow to run on a large batch of IC's, say several pounds or kilograms. I guess I'll just keep saving chips until I can pyrolyze them.

Latest posts

Back