Irons

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Irons, You old dog you. Glad to see your back, we have all missed you. Hope all is well.

Ralph

Hey Ralph, sheesh, you keep changing your name. So are you an element on the Atomic Chart or a mascot that is an annoying quacking duck? lol

Welcome back my friend.

Been to cold here, even to work in the Barn. One good thing about cold weather is the wash solutions freeze, leaving a concentrated solution of salts on the bottom. Solutions containing Arsenic and other elements can be dangerous to boil down as As Chloride distills off around the boiling point of water. If you let it freeze, the concentrated solution can be poured off.

Thanks to everyone who have been thinking of me.

Harold_V said:
It's hard to keep a good man down.

Welcome back, Irons. Don't be a stranger.

Harold

When you feel bad, it's hard to think.

I just have to be more careful. Heavy metals can build up in the system and take a long time to get rid of.

Irons said:
I just have to be more careful. Heavy metals can build up in the system and take a long time to get rid of.

Great to have you back!

Do you want to share what happened with the rest of us?
(Shock and awe, and a reminder to the "immortal" kids, that they aren't)

peter i said:
Irons said:

Great to have you back!

Do you want to share what happened with the rest of us?
(Shock and awe, and a reminder to the "immortal" kids, that they aren't)

Arsine was the main culprit as well as AsCl3, and Amine based Arsenicals.. Any time volatile heavy metal compounds are created, they become a severe health hazard. Even electronic scrap contains some Arsenic because it's used as a dopant in semiconductors and Gallium Arsenide is a major component of LED's. Precipitating PMs in solutions that contain Arsenicals with Zinc, Aluminum and other base metals can and probably will generate Arsine (AsNH3). 135 PPM of Arsine in Air can kill you straight off and it's a bad way to go. About a year ago, it sent me to the Emergency Room. My urine looked like Tomato Juice and I knew I had been poisoned. My suspicions were right. You cannot believe how sick you can get until you've been poisoned by Arsenic. It's very painful. It will make you wish you were dead.

Probably lost a bit of hair on that one, eh Irons?

I had one bad experience with H2Se once before that put me in the most fear of my life. I can't empathize on the arsenic (I've always been careful handling that), but I can tell you that I know how it feels to be down and out for months because of a small oversight.

Considering that it's lethal at 2 ppm over an hour, it is far more toxic than HCN, AsH3, H2S, or any other simple gas/solid.

Lou said:
Probably lost a bit of hair on that one, eh Irons?

I had noticed my hair thinning, now that you mention it. I figured I was just getting old.

When I die, they won't even have to embalm me.

http://waterindustry.org/arsenic-3.htm

With some of the heavy metals that we absorb in our bodies, we should avoid the air ports. My friends always tell me to get the lead out. Referring to the sand trap at the local shooting range.

Glad to see your doing fine now. Hang in there Irons.

Latest posts

Back