Is it gold?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say we all need a few more details to ascertain that?

Like your starting materials, what process you used (AP, nitric, etc...) ?

As far as we know.... It's anything you wish it to be...
How about tellin us a story....of how you came to possess such a fluid filled flask such as this.

B.S.
My crystal ballz got broken ....when my 2nd wife busted em.

Heh!

Is it gold?

How big is a rock?

If you hope to glean something useful from your post, I strongly advise you to provide full details. We are not here to play games, nor will we do so. Asking questions without providing any information serves no purpose.

Harold

OMG, I am on my third attempt to post more information and more pictures and am having a very difficult time doing so with my iphone.

I hope this one posts. I'll try it without pictures this time. Very sorry, I had written a two paragraph informal step by step post and it did not post. This is my second time to ever post anything so I'm learning as I go.

I had taken melted down computer pins and those melts you buy off of ebay. Melted them down and poured into water creating shot like metal melts. Then I soaked in 50% nitric acid for a few days and the reaction had stopped so I got some fresh nitric acid and put in the the cylinder after wringing out the old nitric acid. I then placed on my old bar b q put that I no longer use, added just a small amount of pecan bark, two very small pieces of oak and one pice of charcoal. Added lighter fluid and let get going good. Placed the beaker in the pit and closed the lid. When I came back an hour later there were brown spongy looking things floating around and then sinking back to the bottom and clean looking gold colored pieces at the bottom. I'm pretty sure it's gold, but will find out for sure tonight when I get home from work. Supper excited.

Hello
I hate to ne the barer of bad news
Dont get to excited the stuff from ebay will be less than will be 1/1000th the original weight
So if you bought 1 pound of already melted pins and you did everything proper you can expect anywhere fron
.4-.6 grams of gold and you have already spent more on acids

Sorry Steyr223 Rob

Ps if this is just a learning experience and your not looking for the money than
Right on keep it up

Umm... Hi again.
Would it be possible for you to safely cover everything and store it untill you learn what you did and why. And what mess you made with nothing to show for it.

I only ask because you will....will put yourself in harms way if you didn't already. You also mixed acid, fire, and unknown amounts of metals and thier salts. Nitric acid is use to make nitroglycerin by the way...Highly explosive compound.

Also, the "lumps" of melted pins are more of a waste of time to try and get anything out of. Let alone PMs if there are any. Pins not melted are tough enough but when melted, mixes everything together. Making it extremely difficult.

I hope you read this and adhere to this lesson. Please stop and begin to read the forum as well as recomended books so that you will learn this great hobby. And hopefully make some $$$ along the way.

Good Luck

B.S.

The gold contained in electronic connector pins (those gold blops) will ONLY be 1/10 of 1% of the total weight of the blops and it will be alloyed with Brass which contains tin :shock:
To put it simply, 1Kg (1000 grams)of the blops will contain up to 1 gram of gold, but probably less. Then you have to account for the tin that will steal its weight in gold and you will probably not get it back due to your lack of experience in dealing with solutions gone wrong.

About your picture where you think you are seeing gold :shock:
That isn't gold :roll: it looks more like oxidized copper created during the melt, which will not dissolve like you would think.

Start with something easier like silver or solid carat gold jewelry to get your first successes, then when you understand better what you are doing, then you can go back to this mess and get it straightened out. :p

niteliteone said:
(those gold blops) will be only 1/10 of 1% of the total weight :
(1000 grams)of the blops will contain up to 1 gram

steyr223 said:
the stuff from ebay will be less than will be 1/1000th the original weight
So if you bought 1 pound of already melted pins and you did everything proper you can expect anywhere fron.4-.6grams
:shock:
Hummmm....,...........

steyr223 said:
niteliteone said:
(those gold blops) will be only 1/10 of 1% of the total weight :
(1000 grams)of the blops will contain up to 1 gram

steyr223 said:
the stuff from ebay will be less than will be 1/1000th the original weight
So if you bought 1 pound of already melted pins and you did everything proper you can expect anywhere fron.4-.6grams
:shock:
Hummmm....,...........
Yup, just a different way of showing the same low return.

Latest posts

Back