Is it gold?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brjook

I recently dropped a solution of gold and tested the solution after dropping with Stannous and it tested positive .I tried SMB again but got nothing.I added some of the Stannous solution i am useing and it became very black very fast .Is it gold precipitation or Tin?

It would be my opinion that the resulting test is gold, but it can be confirmed by placing a small drop of the solution in a spot plate cavity, then a small crystal of ferrous sulfate added. If it's gold, you'll see it precipitate as you watch. Depending on various conditions, it may precipitate as a foil, or as brown powder. I experienced both types of reactions routinely.

To remove doubt when testing with stannous chloride, test in a spot plate. After the reaction, rinse the cavity. If gold was present, there will be a purple stain remaining in the cavity. It can be wiped out with a piece of paper or fabric, or even removed with a drop of AR. To my knowledge, nothing but gold leaves the purple stain.

Harold

Harold_V said:
To remove doubt when testing with stannous chloride, test in a spot plate. After the reaction, rinse the cavity. If gold was present, there will be a purple stain remaining in the cavity. It can be wiped out with a piece of paper or fabric, or even removed with a drop of AR. To my knowledge, nothing but gold leaves the purple stain.

Harold

One of my favorite tricks before i got a spot plate and even still today is to use the cheap plastic disposable spoons that you can get for a $1 a box at Wally World. They wipe off and clean easily for many uses. I love that Purple color. :p

Great idea, Ralph. Especially for the guy that's just starting out and has yet to acquire the nice little gadets that make testing easier. I'd highly recommend a white plastic spoon to anyone that has no spot plate.

Harold

Heck I still occasionally use my big plastic stir spoons as a testing surface.I buy them from walmart for $1 for a bag of 5 and they are great.I believe a bought about 5 bags the last time I bought them,that was over a year ago.I still have them all over my shop.The longest one reaches the bottom of my 4000ml erlenmeyer easily.

Latest posts

Back