is it necessary to dilute AR before precipitation

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4metals said:
Dust, likely it may because the particles are small, but you are looking to leach out the silver not dissolve the gold. What percentage is the silver in the 18K alloy?

0.16 each gram the alloy contains Cadmium too

diverwild said:
4metals said:
Why do you start in Aqua regia? If you did a first leach in nitric and distilled water you could also recover the silver. Once the silver has been through aqua regia it is much more difficult to get out the silver.

Do you think nitric could attack 18K alloy dust?

The answer to the question is yes, nitric oxidizes the small particles and that is what you are seeing as an attack.

It's the premise of touchstone testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you burn the sweeps and crush them, any oversize that doesn't pass through a 40 mesh screen is usually metallic gold from filings. This material needs to be inquarted with silver and parted in nitric in order to recover the gold. 16% silver is too high to completely digest the gold in aqua regia without hanging up gold in the silver chlorides, so for the oversize, inquart.

At 16% and the fine particle size you crush to, a nitric / distilled water leach should get a good percentage of the silver out. Filter out the insolubles and recover the silver from the acid. (Cementation or as a chloride, your choice)

You do not have to worry about any nitric that may remain in the solids because you are going to make aqua regia anyway, so another incineration isn't needed. Just add the hydrochloric acid and the nitric to dissolve the gold. Heat for the dissolve will help as well. When everything is reacted and filtered, I always like to take a small spoonful of the filtered and rinsed solids and add them to a small beaker of aqua regia, then test with stannous to see if any gold was dissolved.

I never mix up aqua regia the same strength for sweeps as for karat scrap, I usually start at 8:1. By testing the processed solids in a small beaker if aqua regia you will learn what ratio of acid works best for your material.

snoman701 said:
Is cadmium a normal alloy component with gold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it comes from solder، when we polish a piece the buffing wheel hits places which has solder that ends up in the polishing bags that I need to refine

4metals said:
When you burn the sweeps and crush them, any oversize that doesn't pass through a 40 mesh screen is usually metallic gold from filings. This material needs to be inquarted with silver and parted in nitric in order to recover the gold. 16% silver is too high to completely digest the gold in aqua regia without hanging up gold in the silver chlorides, so for the oversize, inquart.

At 16% and the fine particle size you crush to, a nitric / distilled water leach should get a good percentage of the silver out. Filter out the insolubles and recover the silver from the acid. (Cementation or as a chloride, your choice)

You do not have to worry about any nitric that may remain in the solids because you are going to make aqua regia anyway, so another incineration isn't needed. Just add the hydrochloric acid and the nitric to dissolve the gold. Heat for the dissolve will help as well. When everything is reacted and filtered, I always like to take a small spoonful of the filtered and rinsed solids and add them to a small beaker of aqua regia, then test with stannous to see if any gold was dissolved.

I never mix up aqua regia the same strength for sweeps as for karat scrap, I usually start at 8:1. By testing the processed solids in a small beaker if aqua regia you will learn what ratio of acid works best for your material.

I will try what you have suggested then I will reply، BTW there are no oversized pieces in the polishing bags، when I sieve the incinerated ashes I cant see any gold particles at all they are very very small and mixed with ash

since we opened this topic I have one concern which is iron or stainless steel I use a magnet after sieving، but lets say some amount of iron went to AR what problems could occure ?
because I dont make the first step washing with HCL I made it once and the solution took long time for me to settle and decant

4metals said:
At 16% and the fine particle size you crush to, a nitric / distilled water leach should get a good percentage of the silver out. Filter out the insolubles and recover the silver from the acid. (Cementation or as a chloride, your choice) /quote]

I hoped what you suggested would work، but it did not، I boild my incinerated material for about half an hour with nitric، then decanted، nitric became green in color، then had my material in AR by adding HCL، 15 minutes later the solution was full of creamy silver chloride which resisted the initial nitric digestion،

I came back to the green nitric and put few drops of HCL to test for any trace of silver، came back after 2 hours I found small amount of silver chloride، barely visible .

after dnoxing I let the solution to settle I found some kind of black cloud swimming in AR، this is first time I see it .

Attachments

• 20170505_223307_resized.jpg
    20170505_223307_resized.jpg
    277.6 KB
What concentration of nitric did you use on your half hour nitric boil?
Did you test the green nitric leach with stannous or dmg to see if any palladium was in the solution?

If the solution got any sunlight, the black is probably silver chloride.

Topher_osAUrus said:
Did you test the green nitric leach with stannous or dmg to see if any palladium was in the solution?

If the solution got any sunlight, the black is probably silver chloride.
68% concetrared
No I did not our 18 karat does not have PMs other than gold and silver.

diverwild said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
68% concetrared
Did you dilute that at all, or did you boil it at 68%?

Concentrated acid has little "room" left for metal ions. When we use nitric to leach silver, palladium, or base metals, we usually dilute concentrated nitric acid with an equal amount of distilled water. The silver (or palladium, copper, etc.) nitrate is soluble in the water used for dilution.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
diverwild said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
68% concetrared
Did you dilute that at all, or did you boil it at 68%?

Concentrated acid has little "room" left for metal ions. When we use nitric to leach silver, palladium, or base metals, we usually dilute concentrated nitric acid with an equal amount of distilled water. The silver (or palladium, copper, etc.) nitrate is soluble in the water used for dilution.

Dave

after boiling a bit I added nearly 1 liter tap water

The reason you use distilled water and nitric is to allow the silver to leach out of the alloy. Granted at the ratio of gold to silver this may be difficult you did 2 things that did not help the situation. First you used full concentrated nitric acid and Dave explained the problem with that, and second you added tap water which provided a source of chlorine to form a film of silver chloride on the gold.

Before you give up on leaching out the silver, try doing it properly by diluting the concentrated nitric with an equal volume of distilled water.

At 18% silver you aren't getting all of the gold with aqua regia either so try to leach it properly so as to eliminate any possibility of premature chloride formation. Rinse it well with distilled water, and then try aqua regia. If you can successfully lower the silver content the gold dissolution will be more complete.

4metals said:
First you used full concentrated nitric acid and Dave explained the problem with that, and second you added tap water which provided a source of chlorine to form a film of silver chloride on the gold.
I think this is where it went wrong، could chlorine along with nitric dissolved some of the gold?

next time I will try it with 50/50 distilled water، and reply
thank you my friends.

diverwild said:
4metals said:
First you used full concentrated nitric acid and Dave explained the problem with that, and second you added tap water which provided a source of chlorine to form a film of silver chloride on the gold.
I think this is where it went wrong، could chlorine along with nitric dissolved some of the gold?
The more likely scenario is that the chlorine in your tap water reacted with the silver nitrate to form silver chloride. The silver chloride crust then prevented the nitric from getting to the silver and the AR from getting to the gold.

Diver- you need to look at the chemistry of AR, because when you do and learn it you'll not be asking if some Chlorine in Nitric will dissolve gold. I mean that kindly- it's the basis of most of what is done with gold refining (apart from cyanide leaching) on this forum. 8)

I'm not entirely sure what search term would be best could someone help me out?

Jon

anachronism said:
I'm thinking some Hoke reading is in order before he even attempts the forum searching.

Diverwild, check out Dave/FrugalRefiner's signature block--he posted the second reply to your OP. Click on one of the Hoke links and read up--then you'll have a much better knowledge base from which to start querying the forum and its members.

Your time in helping others is more precious than gold، spending few ounces(time) with us is much appreciated .

I thought chlorine = chloride، I am not a chemist but I like chemistry and enjoy reading about it، I read a lot in this fourm about chemistry، and you all know reading is the best way for a proper knowledge.

anachronism said:
Diver- you need to look at the chemistry of AR, because when you do and learn it you'll not be asking if some Chlorine in Nitric will dissolve gold. I mean that kindly- it's the basis of most of what is done with gold refining (apart from cyanide leaching) on this forum. 8)

Jon

well my friend، I am realy surprised it actually had gold،
yesterday a friend of mine gave me old japanese solder senju 1976، to prepare stannous chloride (which I never used before)، I made the test solution، and I had to test its efficiency، I had only that nitric solution which I used in the first wash، it gave light purple color، which made me skeptical، I evaporated the solution with maximum heat untill the solution became very green I put some HCL، let cool، filtered، SMB precipitation، I recovered 0.4 gram of gold، then the solution became pale blue، with stannous test it gave yellow color، I was very happy with this experiment :)
but how nitric digested some gold along with tap water.

Latest posts

Back