Ishor Simplicity---Help needed seperating the precipitates

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1945enola

Hello, I'm a part time dabbler/buyer in mostly gold filled items via ebay/craigslist. I spoke to Shor International and purchased a IShor Simplicity after they informed me that indeed a gold filled ingot could be refined in their system the same way as regular karat gold bar. I wished I'd read some of the reviews here of Shor and this particular system first. I usually take my bars to the refiner and the gold content is typically 3-5% gold. They pay 90% of spot because of the low content of gold. These bars were assayed by my local walkin refiner and found to be 3.88% gold. I refined 3 bars of 1kg each in the systems. In theory I was suppose to add 1lb of their special odor free precipitant for every 1lb of dissolved metal. After dissolving all bars I took 1 gallon of the solution 1/6 of solution and added 1/6 of the precipitant. However nothing precipitated out of solution...even after i added more precipitant. Shor prides itself on answering all questions....and that was true until I became stuck. I've sent 3 messages in the past week and they've gone without response. When I changed the subject and asked about how much a replacement part would cost(there was a used Ishor on ebay)...they answered that question nearly immediately. So I was basically stuck with 8 gallons of water with 4-5 oz of gold in them. I spoke to a seller that sells these for Shor for advice and a solution. He informed me that I should add reduce the volume by boiling and then add zinc. I reduced the volume by 30-40% and I got alot of mud precipitant crystals etc. I'm guessing that this is not just gold but copper 81.2%, zinc 13.99% , silver 1.01, & nickel .95% (as per assay)....Any advice on what I should do with this mixed mud/crystals etc... I'm a newbie and can ponder the advice given while at work tomorrow at.

P.S
This is my first posting and I've just found about the touted book by Hokes ....but I'm in a panic state as I've got my rent money suspended in water.

If I had a blend of those metal powders and nothing else in it, I would filter, incinerate and then use CuCl2 leach (mostly called AP) or diluted HNO3 (slowly adding the powder, zinc-acid-reactions tend to be vigorous). In both cases gold will be left as a dark powder, which needs to get refined. Search those processes in the forum, since there is a lot to learn about them first. If you just start without knowing the basics about them, you will get stuck again or worse.

1945enola,

I have never used the shor systems of any type but I have made a mess before. Upside for me was I didn't have much money tied up in it and it lead me here.
I don't know how to tell you to shortcut past all the study and practice you need to do in order to get your rent out of your mud. By the way don't throw away anything yet until you learn to test it.
There are folks here who might refine your mud for you for a very reasonable amount compared to what you may put yourself through trying to do this quickly.
All the answers are here on the forum but please start with the safety and waste disposal sections if you are going to try this.
Here is what I would suggest;
Wash your precipitate in very hot water add the wash to the solution you have already label this container as....bad, not trying to be funny I just don't know what they have had you mixing together at this point.
Dry the material you have left.
At this point I believe you could ship it unrestricted.
Double bag it label the bag and put another label in the box incase someone from the shipper wants to take a look.
Ship to someone from here on the forum to recover your gold and if you want them refine it. If you are selling your material to a refiner anyway then the refining maybe a wasted step.

To be clear I am not offering to provide this service so I have no stake in what you do, I do hope this works out for you and you stay safe and join us in a great hobby.

There are multitudes of more experienced refiners here and if any of them see something incorrect in this I invite their input.

All the best,
John

Latest posts

Back