It's Time to go legit. :)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
glondor said:
You are well meaning in regards to your warnings however you should qualify your statement to read "No <<<cartridge>>> type respirator". Supplied air respirators are fine. Recommended as a matter of fact. :)
True, that. But remember there are PAPRs (powered, air purifying respirators) that require a cartridge that may be misunderstood as being an air supplied respirator. Also if the intake of the compressor filling or supplying the air is near the exhaust... OSHA states that engineering controls need to be deployed before PPE (personal protective equipment) is employed.

The fact is that most hobbiests do not have the money for an SCBA system. Better to tell them that a respirator (any respirator) will not protect them, so they will look to other engineering controls. [/soapbox]

I refined for years. I used a respirator only when I handled bromine (elemental bromine, in a bottle). Did it help? Probably not. The filters employed certainly didn't think they would. (Truth be known, I wore it to satisfy my mind----I knew it wasn't doing what I hoped it would do)

What did help was refining in a FUME HOOD, where gasses were not breathed.

Use a fume hood, and keep the room under negative pressure. It works.

Harold

Negitive pressure? Did you mean positive pressure? Not being a smart ass. I am actually asking as I take your word as law.
If it was negitive any leaking fumes form the hood would go into the room? I figured positive woud push any air in the room out the hood. Please advise.
I am building or buying a a hood this week. I was thinking of pressurizing the room and then I read this.

Happy Christmas everyone. NORAD said Santa is on the way. I just finished putting together the 3 story Barbie house and the son's electric scooter..

I am going to feed my addiction for an hour or so on here and then off to sleep.

John S.

ReapHer_6 said:
Negitive pressure? Did you mean positive pressure? Not being a smart ass. I am actually asking as I take your word as law.
Good. Then you'll take my word that you want the room under negative pressure. That means you put the intake side of the blower on the output side of the hood, so it pulls air out of the room constantly, which, in effect, creates a negative pressure in the room. I'm sure you understand why that's to your benefit.

If it was negitive any leaking fumes form the hood would go into the room?
Not when the negative pressure is created BY the hood.

I figured positive woud push any air in the room out the hood. Please advise.
I am building or buying a a hood this week. I was thinking of pressurizing the room and then I read this.
Do NOT pressurize the room. If you do, any escaped gasses will go anywhere there's an air leak.

By keeping the room under negative pressure, everything must exit the room by going through the hood. Make sense? It does if you incinerate. Think of a fire place. Where would you prefer the smoke to go? Up the chimney, or out the windows and doors? That's what can happen if you pressurize the room.

Harold

Thank you Sir!

I knew you would set my mind straight. That is exactily how I will set it up. What is the best way to test the negitive / positive room pressure? Use a smoke test?

Man, I edited this like, 30 times, I can't think or spell. Time to stop tyiping...

Thanks a ton

John S.

ReapHer_6 said:
Thank you Sir!

I knew you would set my mind straight. That is exactily how I will set it up. What is the best way to test the negitive / positive room pressure? Use a smoke test?
Not necessary, so long as you move a respectable amount of air with the hood. The room will remain negative---it has no choice. Any air that is discharged from the hood will be made up by infiltration through all of those leaks I mentioned---open door, windows, or even cracks and seams. Everything migrates towards the hood, unlike when a room is under pressure, and it migrates anywhere there's an air leak.

Man, I edited this like, 30 times, I can't think or spell. Time to stop tyiping... [/quote}

That's typing---not tyiping :lol:

Spell check is your friend. I know that to be true, because I am dyslexic. Often type three letter words in reverse. Without spell check, my posts wouldn't be legible.

Thanks a ton

Welcome!
By the way, I'm speaking from experience. Been there, done that.

Harold

Back