Jason sheepskin extraction interests me

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Jonsson

Hi

I have had a piece of sheep skin in a small mineral rich creek and it attracted yellow-brown-reddish dust. How can I have it analyzed? Is there another way to measure the gold chloride content in the water?

Best wishes,
David

You will not have the salt of gold or a gold chloride, so no need to test for it.

Use a hammer or stone, will the dust crush to powder or does it smash flat, if the tip of a knife is forced with pressure does it flake apart or forge its shape under the pressure of the knife tip, gold is malleable, fools gold mica or pyrite flakes apart.

Pan it with a sample of lead of similar size, which washes out of the pan first. Gold will stay in the pan easier than lead which would leave your pan after almost all of the rock or sands in your creek.

You could put it in a pan full of rocks sand and dirt and pan it, if it is gold it will still be in your pan after all of the other material is panned off.

A sluice box or corrugated pipe can be used instead of a gold pan, pie pan, or a hub cap from an old pickup truck.

A streak test on the bottom (rough) ring of a porcelain coffee cup, a scratch streak or rubbing, iron ores, and pyrites will give a yellow-brown, red-brown or black streak, while gold will leave a golden streak.

You could further test the golden steak (not necessary but an option) on the porcelain with a drop of nitric acid, the streak will remain golden if it is gold.

Last edited:
Back