Johnson Matthey / BASF (Or any) catalytic converter report n

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slayer-PGM

Hey guys I know its very difficult to do catalytic converter unless you have good machinery, plasma furnace, etc so I am thinking to send it to BASF or johnson Mathhew or any other company which pay good money for converters. Before that can I have a analysis report of the catalytic converter which they send after analysis the catalytic converter and tell us the amount that we would get. I know many people here send cats to those company so I just want to see the report. Can anyone please help me see the report? I just need to see how the report is, how they draft it and other details. I dont need actual figure but anything is appreciated.

Thank you

Here is a video of how Johnson Matthey treats & processes your material

http://www.jmrefining.com/video-page

hope that helps answer your question

Kurt

Thanks kurtak.
I am looking for the report which they send us after assaying the material or cats we send. The above video show us the process of cats or other material but not the report. The report will probably contain PT, PD and Rhodium contents in the material and the value that we will receive.

Thanks

I can't provide you with a report as I have never sent any material to ether of these companies

I don't quite understand what your question is - in other words I don't understand what good it would do to look at the report of someone else's material

its a straight forward process - your send them your material - they mill it, mix it & take a sample from it for assay - after they do the assay they send you back a report telling you this is the amount of Pt, Pd & Rh in your shipment & this is what we will pay --- when they take the sample to do their assay they also cut (from that sample) a portion you can have sent back to you &/or a portion you can have sent to an independent lab for independent assay to compare to their assay

the assay report on what you send them is what it is based on what you send them & each load/shipment/batch is going to be different depending on what went into the shipment --- so I don't see what good looking at someone else's report is going to do to help you

So can you please explain better just what it is you are looking for ?

Kurt

If your looking for an average value then I'm afraid it's not going to work. There are so many types of cats from lorries and top end cars which are high value to secondary market low end cats with little value. If you want to know the contents of your material take a representative sample and have it assayed before shipping.
Assays aren't cheap but if the sampling is good you at least know the value before shipping your material.

nickvc said:
If your looking for an average value then I'm afraid it's not going to work. There are so many types of cats from lorries and top end cars which are high value to secondary market low end cats with little value. If you want to know the contents of your material take a representative sample and have it assayed before shipping.
Assays aren't cheap but if the sampling is good you at least know the value before shipping your material.

Correct - but that's not even the whole story when it comes to CATs -- its not just a question of "type of CAT" because even the same type CAT can very by a lot

one of the best examples of this is the small & large bread loaf type CAT - they ALL look the same (ether large or small) but what is in side of them can & will very by a lot - some of them are high in Pd & low in Pt while others are high in Pt & low in Pd - the ones that are high in Pd have less value in them then the ones high in Pt - also the amount of PGMs in the same type CAT can & do very

Why --- because the makers of cars (Ford for example) will use the same "type" CAT in different models of cars with different engines in them - so the PGM content is varied to meet the emission standard of the model/engine the CAT is being matched with --- & also year of make can make a difference - when (not if but when) the EPA changes the emission standard - the maker (Ford etc.) does not change the type/stile of the cat - they change the PGM content

bread loaf converters have a few different "part numbers" stamped on them - the part # reflects the model/engine/year it was made for which in turn reflects the PGM content

As far as having an independent assay done before sending out the material it needs to be milled very fine & be "very well mixed" to make it a very homogenous mix in order to even come close to the assay of the company you send the material to & even then I don't think the company will except that assay --- they are going to do their own milling/mixing - from that they will cut a sample for assay - from that sample they will cut a portion for you to have an independent assay done on so that your independent assay reflects the assay of their milling/mixing/sampling - why - because they don't know if your sample/assay was even taken from the actual batch you sent them &/or how well it was milled/mixed

Kurt

I have to say - It is an odd question. You can simply call them and ask.

But anyway, it is really not that complicated.
- You will get a report stating your client's No., batch No. date etc'...
- samples ref. No (internal, client's and umpire)
- Amount received (Kg if only ceramic, units if whole)
- Post processing weight in Kg ( (de-can) milling, sieve incineration)
- Reluts in g/Kg per each metal

Costs
- lot charge
- Metal return of each metal %
- processing fee $/Kg
- Refining $/Kg of credited metal

payment
to metal account or they will buy at -% under spot.

That's about it.

Let's get simple here, if your asking are they going to rob you then well yes if you give them a chance to they will, nature of large refiners, or all refiners, my choice go to the German companies who charge really heavily but you get the material that's there, they made their money on the charges up front, not saying they ate all totally honest but you pay one way or the other!

@NickYes, some of these quotes lately I've seen are insane, especially on difficult and complex streams.

99%+ accountability, + $2.50/lb processing + $250 assay + $6/troy recovered Pt.

Some "secret squirrel" split lots have determined differences of up to 41%. They would have had to pay 140% to pay out all the values that were actually there.

In the refining world, there's theft by deception and theft by incompetence. Both are pernicious but I would say one is more criminal than the other: one is bad faith, the other bad science.

There's an all-in cash cost to processing a material; this is technology, market, and resource dependent. I've seen some refiners literally quote less than cost just to have the business (probably to satisfy their bank). It's insanity, with hilarity ensuing.

So, OP: my suggestion would be run a lot and rep it appropriately. Like Kurt and others have said, there's so much variation with a blended catcon stream that really, you're shooting in the dark on yields unless you bought every converter ''by the book''.

Lou

Latest posts

Back