Just got insulted

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway the second shop said yes they have an XRF - would be happy to shoot my button & that they pay 90% spot on silver & 92% spot on gold

I also told them my refining history & my years of membership on GRF & about some of my LARGER silver crystals from my silver cell to which they said we definitely would like to meet you & may be interested in buying your silver crystals for a price above spot :cool:

So here is an up date on my OP --- Decided to make the 2 1/2 hour drive to this shop to check it out & have some stuff shot with their XRF as well as intent to sell "a bit" of my stash

have a 21 gram gold button of some placer gold I got from weekend panning this summer
to check my button with (XRF) (I suspect it has a high silver content - like plus/minus 20%)

So anyway - back when I melted that placer gold I also had a few grams of some very small gold contact points I had recovered from some telecom gear (close nipped the points from the bus bars) used nitric to dissolve the bus bar base metal to recover the gold contact points

After the base metal was dissolved it turned out that the points were actually at two layer metal - gold over a white metal & at the time I "assumed" the white metal was "maybe" nickel --- anyway I melted those in with the placer gold

Truns out the points must have been gold over Pd as the XRF came back saying 3% Pd - 17% silver & the remainder gold - no other metals :cool:

So this of course came back home with me for future refining --- due to the Pd in it - it will likely go in with some dental gold I have :cool:

Anyway I also had a 39 gram gold bar of gold I had recovered from a VERY dirty solution by cementing with copper --- so had them XRF that to see how much copper came down in the cementing process --- XRF said 997 gold - 003 copper :cool: --- to clarify - they hit the bar top, bottom & sides - no change in read out

So I sold this - they paid me 92% for 999 :cool:

I also took one my 15 ozt silver bars to sell (silver from silver cell) - they paid me spot "plus" 50 cents per ozt & will take any more I am willing to sell

As well - they asked If I would be interested in refining their gold filled :cool: --- told them I don't really do this for a living anymore - just a hobby - so will have to think about it --- might have to put a fume hood out in my shop & set up a real lab again :unsure: - I have the blower (8 inch) but need to get the ducting (building the cabinet is easy enough)

They also said every once in awhile they get someone that comes in with larger amounts of CBs - which they don't buy - but would call me if I am interested :unsure:

So all in all - GOOD trip :cool:(y):D

Kurt

Back