Just made matter worse :(

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moo

Hay gues been working on my soultion from here http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=14871
Just got very frustrated and kind of lost the plot, getting nowhere there was gold foils and traces here and there in the bottom of the bucket couldnt see much base metal so I washed the cpus with water once added acid/bleach and dissolved all I could now after filtration I have a dark green solution. Can someone please help me out here im getting extremly frustrated, every time I try to start fresh I get worse. I am making a fresh batch of stannous now so will edit when i get result.

It will do no good to get frustrated, if I got frustrated every time a reaction did not go the way I planned, I would have no hair (having pulled it all out), we just need to deal reaction, and go from there, so we can keep what hair we have.

Let us know what the stannous test shows, if the gold is in solution with some copper you may still be able to precipitate it out with a reagent, if not you can cement it out with a copper buss bar, and just re-refine it either way.

The stannous chloride test will let you know if there is gold in solution or not, keep in mind oxidizers need to be removed before the test will work.

Thanks for making me laugh butcher :) will post stannous when its ready. hmm come back negative so how to remove any oxidizers...

Moo said:
Thanks for making me laugh butcher :) will post stannous when its ready. hmm come back negative so how to remove any oxidizers...

To remove oxidizer (chlorine) simply warm the solution for a hour or so and let cool (do not boil) or just let it set for a day and the chlorine will leave the solution.

Ok maynman thanks will try on find a happy medium between steaming and boiling to drive off chlorine

Moo said:
Ok maynman thanks will try on find a happy medium between steaming and boiling to drive off chlorine

Moo,
An old coffee maker works great for that. Put your solution in a coffee pot, turn on the coffee maker so that the warmer gets hot, then put your pot on the warmer. It will get plenty hot enough to remove your chlorine, but will not get hot enough to boil.

I bought an $ 8.00 coffee maker at walmart and cut the water tank part of it off, so that it was smaller and would never have a chance of accidentally being used for coffee.

Thanks for the tip, will keep my eyes open for one soulution currently steaming away in a flask turned it off because it got very very hot and I dont think the glass will hold up, after this chlorine is out if stannous shows pos for Au do I just drop with SMB as per usual?

Moo,

You mentioned you couldn't see much base metal so you dissolved all you could with HCl / bleach. If you had any base metal in there at all your gold most likely already cemented back out on it and this is why your stannous chloride test showed negative.

Go ahead and get rid of the excess chlorine and test again but, if the test is still negative, your gold is probably now a brown/black powder in with what ever solids you have remaining.

Still negative with stannous, i shaked the solution however and there was a slight smell of chlorine will wait till its out completly. Wouldnt be surprised if theres base in there, I really gotta start making progress here moving location soon and have 3 or 4 jugs around and a bucket of toxic waste mainly ap and one I think has a acid and a gold watch band dissolved in it. Can I just dump all this stuff I have laying around into the one vessel cover it up and recover powder from bottom in week?

sure, add all the solution into one container and add a good length of copper pipe. let the pipe stay in the solution a couple of days and then collect any powder formed. it may not be much so be careful not to stir it up when you draw the fluid from the container. in this way, any powder formed will be something of value. you can dry and store the powder and process it later in hcl/Cl or AR.

by the way, it may help to evaporate some of the water and condense the liquid down to a manageable volume.

Latest posts

Back