Keeping fingers crossed for this deal (pictures)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GOLD silver Pro.

this is what i said, and what on fully plated pins i am recovering at> "" and net .4 to avg. .48 to .5 percent by weight. "", i am always looking
to improve this yield value, .6 percent by weight, i have never achieved. and probably never have had the quality of pins as in this discussion.

.25 percent by weight, would be my commercial split value, 0.25 above .025 is a misplace of decimal on the split. some may work with a 60 / 40 split, but chemical cost and time to process, must be factored in your agreements. , thank you for pointing that out GSP,

goldsilverpro said:
goldenchild,

I didn't realize fully how those pins were made. I thought that small hole ran all the way through. If it stops where the side hole is, you might be able to use the sulfuric stripper. I'm thinking that, maybe, one purpose of the side hole was to allow solution exchange and to allow current to be applied to the inside during the gold plating. Many types of parts are designed so as to make them more plateable. I would try the sulfuric stripper on a few pins. After stripping, rinse them well and put them in nitric to dissolve the copper. If there are no gold flakes after dissolving the copper, the sulfuric stripper worked.

In production, you could run much larger quantities with greater efficiency using a commercial plastic plating barrel (tumbler) rather than with a rinky-dink mesh basket. You would have a better chance of getting all of the inside gold with a tumbler.

Yes. The pins are hollow all the way through and have the huge hole and slits on the front, the hole on the side and a small hole in the back. Still haven't heard from the source but will definitely try the stripper cell if the deal goes through.

Here's an update. The company is willing to play ball and they would like me to write up a contract. I want to write up a very simple contract that indicates toll refining will be performed. So basically I will refine x amount of scrap and take x amount of the yield/profit. I also want to receive documentation of the outgoing material ie. the weight, type, lot # etcetera before it is sent to me. Does anyone have a sample contract or maybe even actually written up a contract of this sort? I know I'm probably missing some other things that I need so this is where input is very welcome.

P.S. I don't yet know if there will be time constraints

Mario,

During the time i've been refining, i learned (sometimes the hard and expensive way) that keeping it simple with toll refining clients isn't really a good idea.
You must be very specific and cover all bases whilst remaining coherent and understandable to the layman. Here are some points from my experience:

You should write up a "Refining Terms Quotation" document and have the client return a scanned copy of it signed by hand and company stamp + date (The quotation should of course include all of your relevant details).

1) You should be very explicit in describing the material which you intend to receive (according to their provided sample or description) and the amount you about to receive as it also affect the terms (a close estimation is fine).

2) If there are fixed costs for lot and/or per lb which should be paied (which i assume there isn't any in your case), you should advise them what it is exactly and how it is calculated.

3) A clear summery of who takes care of shipping and insurance and how (including appropriate packaging).

4) A detailed and coherent toll terms.

5) State clearly the estimated recovery period (actual metals availability), but do not pinpoint an exact date or calendaric time-frame. use an estimation, for example: final results & settlements - within apprx. 6 weeks.
Let them know - that you will notify them in case there are delays expected.

6) You should advise them if there will be an interim assay report or not. Keep in mind that it is a representative assay of the lot which will dictate the final settlements once the metals are available. (just to be extra clear - what you report in the interim is what you report in the final)
6.a) If you do provide an interim assay, you should advise them in how long will it be available from material acceptance. At which point, if a dispute would arise - the material can still be sampled and tested by a 3rd party and/or returned to the client (after they reimburse you for the processing & handling + assay + shipping back).
6.b) If you do not provide an interim assay, you should advise them that your recovery process is destructive and the material will not be available for re-assay. Thus, your final results report is indeed final and indisputable - no matter what the circumstances are.

7) mention to keep your right to reject the material for whatever reason (inappropriate packaging, different material, different amounts etc'...).

8 ) Their provided description and weights of the outgoing material is non of your concern. The only thing that matters to you (and you should let them know that) is your own weighing and documentation of the material.
8.a) You should advise them on the received weight (+ pictures if you want to) of each lot as soon as you are done handling the reception and prior to processing. Just in case something is missing.

I hope this helps. Keep in mind that some things may look smooth & simple on the surface, and they really are... as long as everything goes as planned.
But when sh** hits the fan, you will be really gald you've had your bases covered.

Thanks for all the responses. I actually completed a very detailed agreement earlier today using the first link necromancer provided. Sam was spot on. Everything he talked about was in that link. At first I wanted very simple agreement but as I went through all the headings I thought of situations that could arise and what should be done to remedy them. This contract stuff is very new to me as I'm a shake of the hand kind of guy (and luckily never got burned). Now I just have to wait and see if they want to do business.

The only other thing I can think of you might wish to consider is having a witness at the unpacking, and to make a video of the process in case of any gross differences in what they claim they shipped vs what you received?

Back