keeping smells down

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryriena

I was wondering if thiers any way too keep smells away from other Neigbors. I know of fume hoods and such things but what cuts down on burnt curicit bord smells. I need a poor mans way too keep neghibors happy. I am sorry for any misspellings I am on my cellphone and

The best way is not to burn them in the first place.

Why are you burning boards anyway. If you want the Cu pile them up till you get enough that someone wants to buy them. burning them without enough room is rough on everyone.

Eric

Easy, don't burn circuit boards at home.

Göran

... okay, a bit longer explanation ...

Burning circuit boards releases a lot of poisonous chemicals. In industrial plants they control the oxygen level, temperature, dwelling time in the burning zone and in the end filtering the ashes. To do this in a close neighborhood is irresponsible.

There are some designs of incinerators on the forum and a lot of discussions. Read and study.

My suggestion, go for the easy gold, sell the leftovers to a scrap yard or other electronic recyclers, for example boardsort. Start with an easy process as fingers.

Göran

I saw this Youtube video were after grinding the cell phone boards lit it on fire to burn off the extra plastic around them and then went though the normal chemical process. I was wondering how too reduce smell and Chemicals in the air since I have liitle kids in the neghbiorhood. I would asume a Air scubber attached to the vent of the fume hood that I would make myself would doo the trick along with a vinager and 35% water sultion as back up?

The best advice I can give is th forget what you have seen on youtube and search and study the forum for the processes, Hoke's book will give you the chemical knowledge.

Derek

Ryriena said:
I saw this Youtube video were after grinding the cell phone boards lit it on fire to burn off the extra plastic around them and then went though the normal chemical process. I was wondering how too reduce smell and Chemicals in the air since I have liitle kids in the neghbiorhood. I would asume a Air scubber attached to the vent of the fume hood that I would make myself would doo the trick along with a vinager and 35% water sultion as back up?
Your response indicates that you paid no attention to the warnings of toxic substances and think they're not a problem. Smells are the smallest of your worries. The poisonous gasses that you create can become your biggest nightmare. Assuming EPA were to find you creating the mess that's sure to be created, it could prove to be a very expensive and uncomfortable situation for you.

I strongly advise you lose the idea that you can incinerate boards safely. Without spending a huge amount of money on the proper equipment, which would include the ability to analyze the resulting exhaust, it is highly unlikely you'd achieve success. Beyond that, if you grind boards, you can expect that unless you capture and recycle the solids that will go up with the resulting smoke, you're going to lose values.

Follow the advice you've been given. Process the high grade bits and sell the rest. You won't make a dime processing them, anyway, so why risk the legal entanglements?

Harold

Latest posts

Back