Kleen hydrochloric acid or muratic acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I have some silver pins, what is the best AP for refining..?
HCL & peroxide?

Appreciate any information

If you mean the metal silver, HCl will not accomplish anything because silver is not really soluble in chloride solutions.

If you mean silver colored pins, I would question if there is any gold there.

Dave
Silver-colored pins are a pain to sort. Some of them have silver-palladium plating, some nickel, some tin, some chrome... it's mish-mash.

Silver-colored pins are a pain to sort. Some of them have silver-palladium plating, some nickel, some tin, some chrome... it's mish-mash.
Are you sure, I have never heard about Pd plating on pins?
Where do one find these?

Silver-colored pins are a pain to sort. Some of them have silver-palladium plating,

Are you sure, I have never heard about Pd plating on pins?
Where do one find these?

You may (or not) find these in aero-space, telecom, military, medical electronic equipment

Mostly older stuff

NEVER in consumer electronics

Also - the Soviet Union (again mostly old stuff) actually used a lot of palladium (& even platinum) for plating in their electronics

So - yes - though it is out there - it is VERY rare --- & again NEVER in consumer electronics

Kurt

I have some silver pins,

Just because they are silver in color does NOT mean they are silver

MANY metals are silver in color - nickel, chrome, tin just to name a few

If they are magnetic they are more then likely made of Kovar which is an alloy made of iron nickel & cobalt that is silver in color & usually plated with nickel or chrome

There is absolutely NO reason to make pins out of silver (&/or to plate them with silver) other then in the VERY RARE exceptions listed in my last post

Most certainly NOT (silver) in consumer electronics

Kurt

Off topic, but should i cotton filter, this AP solution?

Appreciated.
MM

Attachments

• IMG_20230923_094438.jpg
    IMG_20230923_094438.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230923_094514.jpg
    IMG_20230923_094514.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230923_094640.jpg
    IMG_20230923_094640.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
You may (or not) find these in aero-space, telecom, military, medical electronic equipment

Mostly older stuff

NEVER in consumer electronics

Also - the Soviet Union (again mostly old stuff) actually used a lot of palladium (& even platinum) for plating in their electronics

So - yes - though it is out there - it is VERY rare --- & again NEVER in consumer electronics

Kurt
My boards tend to be a mix of everything. The only ones I can absolutely be sure to toss are the 'silvery' pins from what are clearly desktop harddrive motherboards and laptop motherboards. The rest are from various industries, and so I save those. It's easy enough to plop the little pile into HCl and see what's left over.

Back